Clutch grinding

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok,
I just changed a 73 Duster over from a 904 to a 4-speed.
This is a new issue to me, I cannot get the tranny to go into any gear at idle without grinding with the rear tires on the ground.

When I jack the rear of the car up, I can slip it into gear, but when you start it, the rear tires will turn, and if you push the clutch in the tires still turn and you cannot make them stop even with the brakes.

Need more adjustment to release the clutch right?
I have the nut adjusted almost all the way out on the clutch rod.

I have changed a few mopars over from auto to standard, and I used either factory parts or reproduction parts that are correct for this car.

I used a new ZOOM flywheel, and their MU series clutch.
When I put the clutch together, I used the newer roller pilot bearing and aligned everything with an old input shaft that I had.
Checked everything clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing on the tranny before the install.
The tranny install slid right in, no "pulling the bolts to mate the tranny to the bell housing"

It has been super humid and raining here this spring, (the car is sitting ouside) the only thing I can think of is the clutch disk has either rusted to the pressure plate or the flywheel.

I will pull the inspection plate tomorrow and see if that is the case, but in until them does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

Hey thanks for the links, I seen oldmanmopars on the petals, mine has the reinforcement on the side, but I have not measured the distance.
The last duster I changed over, I found a 72 340 3-speed factory H car in the junk yard.
Everything slid in smooth and I had no issues and drove that car for over 15 years.

This one just wants to be a real pain.
Maybe because all of the parts are off different cars or, reproduction.
I will check the throw, and see if the clutch is stuck from rust / humidity.

Was the trans rebuilt before you installed it? I mean, totally gone over.

I personally did not rebuild it, I bought if off of a member here.
It was really clean, scyro's looked new, no play in the bearings.
I don't think there is an issue with the trans.

did you put the clutch disk in backwards?

The clutch disk is in correct orientation.

I am going to pull the inspection plate when it cools off a litttle this evening and take a look and see how much the pressure plate is releasing.

Quick update.
My pressure plate is releasing the clutch, so all of the linkage and clutch is working.

I talked to Wayne at Brewere's today, he said if you are using the new roller style pilot bearing it has about a 0.015" interferance where there is a "step" by the splines on the input shaft.
This step must be machined or blended in order to use the newer style pilot bushing.

This step actually has enough interference to not let the input shaft of the transmission to stop turning when the clutch is depressed.
This is the problem that I am having.

It will take me a week or so to pull the transmission, modify the shaft and put it back together. I will update when I have any more information.
Here is a picture of an extra input shaft I haveto show you where the step is by the splines.

1000347k.jpg

the link is correct i made the pin spread from 5 1/4 to six inch the trans shifts nice

I have not checked the distance on mine, but it has the reinforcement on the side.
The pressure plate is releasing so I do not have have clutch linkage issue at idle, full speed power shift is yet to be determined.
Keep any suggestions comming before I remove the trans.
Thanks

After taking the tranny out 3 times.
I finally called Zoom and they said either the flywheel is machined at an angle, the disk is warped or there is something wrong with the pressure plate.
They said to send it back to the vendor for a replacement, which I did.
Ordered a centerforce dual friction with a new centerforce flywheel.
Bolted everything in, removed the over-center spring and started it up.
It goes right in gear and shifts smooth.

I did notice that the clutch wants to let out at about 3/4 of the way up the petal, is this normal for a centerforce clutch? I played with the adjustment a little bit but it seemed to make no difference.

-
Back