Clutch or Cone type?

-

69charger

Reaction score
I want to change the open end diff. in my 69 charger to a sure grip unit its an 8 3/4 with a 742 case and I wanted to know if I should go Clutch or Cone type?

I'm not too familiar with rear ends but I know I have to pick one of the two and was wondering on which direction I should go.

can anyone give me some more information about making the swap too?

Clutch is preferred because it's easier to rebuild.

The cones are a nice setup, BUT a clutch unit can be very easily rebuilt......and if you're gonna hammer it and have fun, all the more reason to install a clutch unit. :read2:

The original Power Lock clutch units are being reproduced. They are very strong and rebuildable.

definately go with a clutch type rebuildable suregrip, dont get a cone type. i had one in my 71 charger, it went bad and i semi rebuilt it myself, this involved maching the metal cone down. there was a lot of metal powder in the bottom of the housing from the cones, it is metal against metal in these types of units, not a good thing , i dont know how the bearings survive in these types of suregrips.

Don't buy a Auburn cone type whatever you do! I had a brand new one installed in my 03 Dodge Ram and it lasted about two years or less. I was pissed! Mechanic said it wasn't any thing that I did but was just all out failure of the limited slip cone type differential. $800 dollars down the drain counting the differntial, master rebuild kit, labor!

No more cone type for me! Some might have great luck with cone type but I sure didn't.

I have clutch type in my cuda.

-
Back