Clutch over center spring

-

Yote

Reaction score
The clutch pedal overcenter spring appears to have (spacers ?) built into it . They are thin, with a galvanized appearance thought the coils. Is this proper? Can some one explain this to me ? Car is 1972 340 4 speed demon. Has been drag raced prior to me acquiring it.

Usually people do that to lengthen the spring so they can get it back on when they took it off for repairs or replacement.
It's possible this happened and they never took the spacers back out.

I don't think I have ever seen them in there full time.

I would think they would fall out when depressed LOL

What I am seeing appears to be part of the spring. The pieces in question have slipped some. I have tried to pull them with clutch depressed , no success. Added the part about being drag raced because I thought they might use a different spring.

Ok, ok guys . I stand corrected. They were in fact spacer washers used to install spring, 8 in all. I should know better at my age to think that I understand what I think I see. ( getting under the dash isn't easy any more, thinking isn't much better.) clutch pedal still lacks 1 inch of full return , without toe lift. Is this ok?
Also emergency brake light doesn't work. Checked switch , it's ok. Some one has wired in a resistor/ diode? ( I don't understand these things.) to black wire from wiring harness, which then leads to the emergency brake switch and also back to a tan wire which goes where I do knot know. Any help here would be appreciated. At times I feel like a complete idiot.

-
Back