Clutch Pack or Spool?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m pretty sure that my clutch,s are done(4.10 s.g)I run the car at the track but also the odd shows,crise nights.A friend mentioned to just go spool.What do you think?Stroked 340(372)4 speed,8 3/4 4.10s.g,slicks,slide-a-link,centerforce clutch with lakewood bell.Car runs hard all day at high 12-low13,s. Should I switch?I plan on getting into bracket racing next spring.Opinions appreciated .Thanks in advance.

It all depends... A spool is dangerous on the street. It's gonna try to go straight every time. (ESPECIALLY when the road is wet.) Differential's (open and suregrip types) were designed for a good reason. 90-10 front shocks, removing a front sway bar, front skinnies, all that kind of stuff adds up to something that becomes a real handfull.
At the track, watch cars as they make tight turns in the pits and staging lanes. The ones that get all twisted out of shape have spools. And they're only moving at crawling speeds. It's hard as hell to even push a spool equipped car when the wheels are turned.
I'd love to use one. They're lighter and cheaper. But I like going through curves, not off the road into??
Be safe.

I switched to a spool about 5 years ago, and I'll never go back. Yes the car can be a little harder to park, but it’s not bad. My car see's about 70% track and 30% street use. As long as you know your car (and don't drive like an idiot) it’s not dangerous. With gentile turns you would never know that my car has a spool...only when you turn sharp do you notice.

I run a spool on the street with 4.10's. It does want to go straight. I don't drive it in the rain though. If I happen to get caught in a shower, I really slow it down. I got caught in some heavy rain this summer, that was a real treat.

Jack

I switched to a spool about 5 years ago, and I'll never go back. Yes the car can be a little harder to park, but it’s not bad. My car see's about 70% track and 30% street use. As long as you know your car (and don't drive like an idiot) it’s not dangerous. With gentile turns you would never know that my car has a spool...only when you turn sharp do you notice.

Exactly .

i dont even notice mine .

Thanks Guys.No driving in the rain,I have 4x4 pick-up also a little Fusion(ford)for scootn to work and back..Spool it is!!I,ll still get the s.g rebuilt at a later time for other project.Thanks again.

I drive my car on the street with a spool and 4:30's yes i need to be carefull turning,but there is nothing better for launching at the track...

I run a spool and 4.10 gears and love it. I just take wide turns when driving on the street.

-
Back