Clutch Pedal Not Returning Completely

-

Mike Correll

Reaction score
I have a 4-speed in my 66 Barracuda behind my 273. Bear with me as I try to explain this. I don't know too much about these transmissions other than the speedometer parts.. Anyways, I noticed that when I depress my clutch all the way to the floor and release it slowly, it seems to get caught right at the end of its travel. I have to put my foot behind it and pull it until it stops where it's supposed to. Like I said, it is a very small distance from the top where it seems to stick. I don't know why it's doing that or if it will make a difference when I drive. I would check and see, but the engine still needs to be started up and tuned, since I just finished a top end rebuild. Anyone have any ideas on things I could check?

It may need the fork rod adjusted, it is threaded for this purpose.

As the clutch wears, the rod needs to be adjusted every so often.

I can tell you it's a fine line when it comes to adjusting these clutches. I have the three finger clutch. The override spring PLUS the pressure plate combine to throw the pedal back, so adjusting the fork rod is critical.

Have you considered a service manual?
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

If the pedal "pops" back up to the stop when you lift it you likely still have an over center spring which would lead one to believe a three finger clutch cover is in there. Normally that spring is removed for the diaphragm style I do believe.
E-brake the car. Have a helper work the pedal through the full motion as you watch for any free play or loss motion in the linkage. Everything should move at the same time. If it's tight and the fork pivots forward and back without twisting, try adjusting the rod nut to make it longer. Use some caution as going too far too quick can bottom the undersides of the cover fingers on a B&B three finger style as you floor the pedal.

-
Back