Clutch Pedal pops up above adjusted level..sometimes

-

AKrum

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have 73 4-speed 340 Duster. The clutch pedal will recoil above the break pedal but not all the time. Other times that pedal sits pretty even with the brake pedal. What is not securing the clutch in place? What am I missing? I’m aware the fork spring is in the inspection cover bolt hole but would that make a big difference?

06E21656-A0DE-4BDD-912A-A10C399BA9C4.jpeg

48889119-39A5-4C6A-8B38-FBF177A818A5.jpeg

A2BA5DF1-987B-49DA-AEC7-2EB6E1B0B1EE.jpeg

Think my buddys dart had a similar issue,clutch pedal pivot shaft was sliding out of place.explains the snap ring he found on the floor. Push pedal down, slide washers into the coils of the return spring and then you can see if there is slack in the pin.

The high position is like my 68 Barracuda, and that is correct.
In the lower position your TO bearing should be spinning, and you should be able to both hear it, and feel it on the pedal. That's bad.

Maybe not part of your problem, but the more I think about it, the more I think it is;
namely;
IMO your fork is way too far to the back; it should be nearly touching the front of the window. I think your fork pivot is too short. If that's true, then the over-travel could be trying to pull the fork out of the pivot. When that happens, I suspect the pivot climbs a lil higher, changing your pedal position inside the car.
While yur there, hook the anti-rattle spring where it belongs, up higher by the starter. Where you have it, could eventually wear out the sliding surface of the front bearing retainer

-
Back