Clutch pedal with 6" pin to pin distance?

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I was looking at my clutch pedal today and I was considering doing the modification in this article.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transm...12-four-speed-a-body-clutch-pedal-adjustment/
Then I sat down and took some measurements. Now I've heard of some A body pedals being 6" from pin to pin but mine measures 5.750". So would you call this a 6" one or is this something really odd.
This is out of an original '72 340 Demon.

Thanks.....................Ted

Well going from 5.75 to 6.0 would be a 4 %gain; certainly not worth the work IMO. Furthermore, even from 5.25 to 6.0 is only a 15% gain. I know it sounds huge, but considering that it amounts to perhaps an actual 8# of leg power difference,it means nothing to me. YET. Perhaps in years to come.

Going to a diaphram clutch is a huge difference. Yes its pricey. The CenterForce in my car though, I think is around 8 or 10 yrs old, and has close to, or over, 100,000 miles so was a really good investment.

That mod is more about better clutch disengagement with a borg/beck pressure plate than pedal effort. Diaphragm clutches don't need as much travel to fully disengage so they are seen as a "cure all" for sloppy worn out linkages, plus people seem to like the easy pedal for some reason.

-
Back