Clutch Recommendation

-
The clutch is in and I will take this opportunity to go on and on... The joker that did the conversion on this thing clearly was not exactly what I would consider a good craftsman. I ended up basically re-fabricating the Z-bar and fork link. The South Bend StageIII, although billed as a "streetable" clutch has about double the pedal pressure of the junk one it replaced. So when it was in and connected, the linkage just basically went tits up. There was so much slop in there it is amazing to me it ever worked at all. I had to sleeve up the Z-bar ends, insert a large shim, and beef up and adjust the angle on the fork link. It's right now.

OBTW, I almost forgot to mention. I think it is supposed to be a two-person job getting the trans back in without a trans jack. I managed to get 'er done but whoa, what a job! I was sweatin' bullets under there in the 95 degree heat here yesterday...

:blob:

I think I just found out what my problem was. The pivot point inside the bell for the fork was broken. When I went to put the fork on with the new bearing it fell off on the floor in 2 pieces! Crap! I guess the clutch is okay afterall.

HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT USEING A HAYS STREET STRIP CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE? IVE ALWAYS LIKED THEM GIVES YOU A POSITIVE GRAB REAL STIFF ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL, MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR LEG EXCERSIZES !!!!!!! GOOD LUCK : :thumbup:

The Hays is a POS!! Slipped like crazy. The engagement is way low on the pedal so it makes for a hard shift at speed. Rated at 500 hp my ***! Dont ever get that piece of crap!

70Barracuda said:
The Hays is a POS!! Slipped like crazy. The engagement is way low on the pedal so it makes for a hard shift at speed. Rated at 500 hp my ***! Dont ever get that piece of crap!

That's interesting. In the early 70's way before all of the clutch technology, exotic lining materials, etc. and when the most radical clutch available was the Ram with the "cleaning lady" disc, we made it just fine with Hays, Zoom, Scheifer, etc. I used all of them at one time or another and behind engines with 400hp plus. Never had any of them "slip like crazy" especially when just installed. And like I said, these were just plain old asbestos lined discs.

dustertogo said:
That's interesting. In the early 70's way before all of the clutch technology, exotic lining materials, etc. and when the most radical clutch available was the Ram with the "cleaning lady" disc, we made it just fine with Hays, Zoom, Scheifer, etc. I used all of them at one time or another and behind engines with 400hp plus. Never had any of them "slip like crazy" especially when just installed. And like I said, these were just plain old asbestos lined discs.

I know! your right. I'm 45, been at this a while. Technology has also helped tires and traction. In the 70's not so many concrete launch pads and VFT.

70Barracuda said:
I know! your right. I'm 45, been at this a while. Technology has also helped tires and traction. In the 70's not so many concrete launch pads and VFT.

Yeah that's true. Anyway, hope you find a solution to your clutch problem. If you do, be sure and post which clutch set up you ended up using. Good luck.

-
Back