clutch safety switch

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 duster 3 speed. I can't find this is FSM wiring diagram. I want to just bypass this switch like I would if auto NSS.... I had open heart surgery 1 month ago and not too nimble yet. I see a green wire coming of that switch and grounded it. I can't see anything else there wiring wise. I get intermitant fire when trying to start. . if I moving clutch in and out it eventually starts. help please!!

Wires up the same as an automatic. The clutch switch grounds one of the push on terminals on the starter relay. So you ground that relay terminal. Remove the wire coming through the firewall in that separate gromment, and ground that terminal

Wires up the same as an automatic. The clutch switch grounds one of the push on terminals on the starter relay. So you ground that relay terminal. Remove the wire coming through the firewall in that separate gromment, and ground that terminal

the starter relay I used is the e arlier variety with NO terminal for the CSS... I did ground that (green) wire that comes thru the firewall. maybe the clutch switch is sticking causing this intermedent NO start or maybe coming from something else. thanks for the input.

If the relay only has one "push on" (spade/ flag) terminal, then your start problem is elsewhere, unless the relay is bad. MAKE SURE the relay is grounded.

The green going through the firewall "to the inside" is going to the switch, so that's the "dead end" side of the circuit

Circuit path is "from ground"..........through switch.......green wire......out through firewall........to one terminal of the relay......through relay coil.......out on the other terminal to the yellow start wire........through the firewall via bulkhead connector...........to S terminal on ignition switch

this old slant duster had last been on the road in '99 but no doubt someone had cleaned the carb (no history on the car) because at first start up it started and ran fine. ( I pulled the gas tank and put in new sender/pickup)..then it would just die after sitting and running fine in neutral. . I MASHED the clutch in and out a few times then all of a sudden start and run. like I mentioned, I am using a new starter relay that preceded the CSS nuisance. since you say the CSS is not an issue, all this is strange. I replaced the ballast.

Could also be that the physical clutch linkage is rubbing/ shaking/ moving some wiring, making or breaking a loose connection. I'd check the ignition switch and the "through" terminals where your start wire feeds through the bulkhead connector.

It could also be a bad relay. What have you done to troubleshoot it?

Start by hooking a meter / trouble lamp to the start terminal on the relay, and when it gives trouble see if you have voltage at that point. If not, it's in the start wire from key to relay, if you do, trouble in the relay, wiring down to the starter or starter itself

now the carb has gotten some dirt/rust in it so am going to have to address that next. start problem seems to be ignition switch (IGN2). yes I have already done the MADD deal at firewall.
I gave always wondered, if these old Mopars require more of your time OR of your money!!?? ha

FYI I ran a jumper wire from the NSS, to a ground on a trans bolt to make mine start every time.
Just an option, I tried grounding at the solenoid but it did not work.

-
Back