Clutches on right hand turns, not left.

-

BlueMoose

Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart with I think a 904.. whatever light duty auto came in a 73.

If I try to take a hard right turn and spin the tires around the corner, it will just clutch and rev the engine. I can burn the tires on left hand corners fine though.
:-|

And it's not trying to shift, I manually selected 1st gear on a few attempts. It has the correct amount of fluid. Any ideas?

With ZERO real information about your car, my best guess would be to have a friend standing on the right side (out by said corner) as you hammer the corner and have him tell you if the rear wheel is comming up off the ground and free wheeling, it is a possibility. Another possibility (much less likely as I think you would notice it in other ways) would be a bad trans mount allowing the tranny to shift around and when you make hard right it might cause the linkage to shift it into neutral, like I said just a possible guess. Why is it such a need to "burn the tires around the corner"?? Tires are expensive, so are exhibition tickets, I should know. And smoking a tire around a corner really dosn't impress anyone. Just my .02

Nice response :)

It's not something I do for fun, it's just an example. I noticed the problem in town, so I tried to accelerate fast around corners to see what was happening. Any hard right turn under acceleration does it.

Not trying to impress anyone or waste rubber :salute:

Hey Moose
Any time you smoke the hides on a Mopar, it is cool!
Try looking at your motor mounts. Sometimes BOTH can break, and set the engine on a slant. If you are not looking, it can be hard to spot.This will send your trany fluid readings out of wack, as the engine will be slanted toward the dipstick. Not very common, but I have seen it before.

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

I just started driving this car after owning it for 3 years. I get side tracked a lot. So today I took it on the mountain highway and drove 60+ mph for the first time. The problem has developed...

Not only does it "clutch" going 50mph on a 45mph corner, it started grinding/knocking. Theres also a very slight vibration to it. I stopped and checked if anything was falling off, then limped home.

I can hear it knocking/vibrating while idle too. In Park and Neutral. Not very loud though.

My driver side motor mount looks horrible. I think it may be part of the problem. I'll check to see if the tranny is loose. I've found alot of botched repairs on this car from the PO.

glad to see you getting worked out and hope it ends well. but tires are not that expensive (buy cheep if you want to just smoke them) and an exhibition tickets although a little pricy + 2 years of probation are worth every penny when done properly (i have not regreted mine yet and i know saying that will bite me in the ***)

I burned a lot of tires in my turbo minivan so I cruise like a granny in the Dart ... until I get my turbo system installed.

I jacked up the motor to inspect the mount.. the drivers side rubber is almost completely gone. Once I removed the pressure I noticed how bad it really is. I'm hoping this will solve everything and no further damage was done. New inserts arrive Tuesday :(

And I agree on the exhibition tickets. If well done you should frame it and get a picture of you with the officer in front of the car. As long as its not in town and nobody is in any danger but yourself.. have fun.

-
Back