Coffin Mufflers

-

69Dart

Reaction score
Just picked up a couple of these from my buddy's muffler shop. They are going to be run on a 69 Dodge Dart that is currently running a set of Flowmaster 40's. The car runs 10.4-10.6 on a single stage NOS kit. From what I have been told by others that have switched from Flowmasters or whatever other performance mufflers that they have had..its been a daylight and dark improvement.
The 69 Dart is running the 21-22 at the Firebird raceway to see what improvements is gained with the new Coffin Mufflers. Here is the website for a look see..

www.thecoffinmuffler.com

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3092265440044859391hgOnoA

This is some sound clips

So far this is the muffler that is going on my son's 68 Dart

Rick

If you are shooting for performance I would'nt waste my time with those mufflers.

Leave the Flomasters on there and buy some Quicktime electric cutouts and have them installed right after the header flanges. Now you talking about the freest flowing exhaust you could ever have and also the best sounding.

Nothing sounds better that straight headers!

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

Actually we have tried open headers on a 67 SS Camaro that runs the street...and it ran better running thru the Coffins than it did open headers. The car has been dyno'd at 410 to the rear wheels..Flowmasters were removed and Coffins installed and the car ran better..then we opened the cut outs and the power dropped off..
Also I have seen the inside of the flowmasters and the coffins...and I can see why they work better..

Rick

Actually we have tried open headers on a 67 SS Camaro that runs the street...and it ran better running thru the Coffins than it did open headers. The car has been dyno'd at 410 to the rear wheels..Flowmasters were removed and Coffins installed and the car ran better..then we opened the cut outs and the power dropped off..
Also I have seen the inside of the flowmasters and the coffins...and I can see why they work better..

Rick

Sounds like you are a salesman of these mufflers to me actually.

nope...just trying to share what I have found out! Is there a problem?

Rick

No problem.

I guess all of the open header exhaust drag race cars need to get Coffin mufflers installed so they will run better.

I would be interested in seeing the gain because they look like a gimmick to me as far as the shape goes.

Chuck

No..I didnt say that ..cars are tuned different when running open headers.

Yes they do look a little different...if they work..strange looking is ok. They have been working on the r & d for over 3 years.....

Rick

Interesting look to them. Hey, if they found a way to make a muffler work well, thats great. Shape is shape. It is different looking though. He he he.

Flow master mufflers IMO are not all that anyways. For a chambered muffler, I would look to Hooker Aero chambers. For a flow through muffler, Dyno Max and Hooker have extremely similar "Max-Flo(w) mufflers that are excellent.

Does coffin have flow numbers? It would help in a comparo.

I never judge a book by its cover that is why I am going to wait and see how it goes after next weekend. But being the are called a Coffin and look like one it seems like a marketing gimmick. I don't care if it is shaped like a bowtie as long as it works, well maybe not a bowtie, but you know what I mean.

Chuck

I never judge a book by its cover that is why I am going to wait and see how it goes after next weekend. But being the are called a Coffin and look like one it seems like a marketing gimmick. I don't care if it is shaped like a bowtie as long as it works, well maybe not a bowtie, but you know what I mean.

Chuck

I think a Ford oval would have better flow numbers than a bowtie.:iconbigg:

I checked out the web page and only one photo gave a hint to what's inside and it just showed where the internals are welded to the outer shell. Appears to be a variation on a Flowmaster or Cherry Bomb Vortex.

There is a Flowmaster 40 cut open along side of a Coffin muffler laying on the county at his shop..Major difference in the internals of the two mufflers. I am no air flow expert...but you can see why there are improvements.

Rick

The design looks good. It does have the properties of a venturi, but the baffles would have to be placed in just the right spot for the flow to be correct. I will wait for your numbers before I make any assumptions though, everything looks good until hard paper results come out.

-
Back