Coil ground as anti theft

-

Twisted71

Reaction score
Hello all!

Maybe one of you knows the answer to this...

Years ago, a good friend of our family showed me how to "ground the coil"
on my 65 Barracuda to serve as a poor mans anti theft device. He helped me rig a switch hidden under the dash with a wire going through the firewall to the coil. If the switch is not "on" the car will not start. I can't remember if the wire went to the positive or the negative side on the coil. I think the other wire from the switch went to ground.

Thank you in advance. 8)

My jeep has one like that, it will run with it turned off thou. Ill trace it for you1

Ground the negative side. I used to use my cig lighter as the "switch". Very stealthy, just pull the power wire of the lighter and hook your kill wire to it. The down side is if your girlfriend's lighter quits and she trys to use your car lighter, you're coasting.

On the freeway.

At rush hour.

Ground the negative side. I used to use my cig lighter as the "switch". Very stealthy, just pull the power wire of the lighter and hook your kill wire to it. The down side is if your girlfriend's lighter quits and she trys to use your car lighter, you're coasting.

On the freeway.

At rush hour.
ooo thats funny

IF I wanted to steal the car, I would raise the hood, hot wire the coil, and jump the starter relay. None of the above would make a difference.
A locking chain for a bicycle around brake pedal and through steering wheel would work better on your model.

IF I wanted to steal the car, I would raise the hood, hot wire the coil, and jump the starter relay. None of the above would make a difference.
A locking chain for a bicycle around brake pedal and through steering wheel would work better on your model.

That's why I told him in another post, that he would be better off with a hidden battery disconnect.

That's why I told him in another post, that he would be better off with a hidden battery disconnect.

I like the battery trick, but usually only if it's a trunk mounted battery. I don't think that there's alot of room to hide one that can't be quickly found. (Follow the big red cable.) (Just my opinion, don't flame me). Plus, I like my radio stations where I set them.

Yes, you can jump a starter relay, thus defeating the neutral safety switch, but hot wiring a coil won't make it fire if it is grounded.

Just saying....

-
Back