Coil spring help

-

Bubu

Reaction score
I need help with choosing springs for my car, front and back. 1963 dart, back halved. Coil over conversion up front, hemmidenny parts. The engine is a Chevy LQ9, (haters, go ahead and hate) around 450 pounds plus the added weight of a twin turbo system ( im guessing 125 pounds+\-), and a 6l80e transmission. Mainly street driven but will see track too.

Thanks

Sorry purists!

Certainly will. Just figured I would try the other fabo members first. I know there is a lot of knowledge in street/strip setups. Thanks. I will contact him at some point as well.

Stop apologizin for your build dummy. It sounds like a nice one and it's not your fault that Mopar is not as good of a package.

I would "GUESS" that a spring with about the same rate as a small block Mopar without air conditioning would work fine. But as far as what diameter fits, HemiDenny is your guy for that.

How bout postin some pictures? I for one would like to see it.

I gotta agree with you Tom, Been trying to explane the concept to the heathens since my first mopar!! Nothing like climbing into the cage with the tiger to poke him!! Honestly, if you are changing the car that much, why not start with a chevy to start? All there best mechanics work at Walmart

I was thinking about something, If ya HAVE to go out in public with a chevy, ya gotta hide that fact some how!! Or its like tellin your buds about kissin your first cousin!!!

We're Mopar guys here. We do torsion bars and leaf springs. We don't do coil springs.

Really? You made this statement on your 7th post? You're funny.

I'll post pictures beginning of december. Im gathering a lot of parts now. The car is sitting on chassis stands right now. Im ordering the final parts for the front end so I can put it back on the ground.

I was thinking about starting a build thread. We'll see. Thanks guys.

Why bust on the new guy when you clearly stated "Haters, go ahead and hate"? I guess you didn't really mean it. You must have meant " I'm gonna do something irreversible to this car that most people on this site will not like, but I think they should say how awesome it is". I personally would rather see a Mopar rot into the ground, than have a chevy in it.

I'll post pictures beginning of december. Im gathering a lot of parts now. The car is sitting on chassis stands right now. Im ordering the final parts for the front end so I can put it back on the ground.

Please start one. We have another member who has a nice LS/Dart build thread too, so you won't be alone.

Why bust on the new guy when you clearly stated "Haters, go ahead and hate"? I guess you didn't really mean it. You must have meant " I'm gonna do something irreversible to this car that most people on this site will not like, but I think they should say how awesome it is". I personally would rather see a Mopar rot into the ground, than have a chevy in it.

Furyus: I actually thought he was funny, bashing me on his 7th post. I couldnt care less if someone likes my ride or hates ir. Thats why I dare to do something different. My comment about haters was referring to the engine, not the suspension. You are the actual hater. I still love you, my half brother.

I was thinking about something, If ya HAVE to go out in public with a chevy, ya gotta hide that fact some how!! Or its like tellin your buds about kissin your first cousin!!!

To answer your first post, my car was a dedicated race car that had been back halved and gutted. I actually saved it from its death bed, in a field in eastern north carolina. Im on a budget and with a goal in mind. I want to go fast, as cheap as possible ( dont we all). Anyways, building a Chevy LS engine is the cheapest for me. My powerplant is a 6.0L that i purchased off a 2005 Cadillac Escalade with 36k miles. I paid $1500 with transmission, wiring harnes, all accessories, starter, PCM... you get my point. If I would have found a hemi for that price, i would be building a hemi. But then again, if I would have found a 5.0 coyote, i would be building a ford engine. Anywho, back to your kissing my first cousin comment, if she's attractive and cheap I just realized i would kiss her, wouldnt I?

Thanks

Furyus: I actually thought he was funny, bashing me on his 7th post. I couldnt care less if someone likes my ride or hates ir. Thats why I dare to do something different. My comment about haters was referring to the engine, not the suspension. You are the actual hater. I still love you, my half brother.

Yes, I'm busted! I do hate chevys. No apologies. I do like how you turned this whole thing around though....

Did you figure out the spring rate you needed? If not you can pm me and I'll get it figured out for you.

Hey Bubu-

Did you notice the name of the poster? I bet you didn't.

Now, maybe I'm wrong, and maybe it is just a coincidence, but if that's the same Tom Condran that wrote the book "Performance Handling for Classic Mopars" then it doesn't matter if he only has 7 posts here. Because he literally wrote the book that was/is the "must have" item for anyone building a mopar that can handle. So, he probably knows more about mopar suspension than you ever will. Not only that, but his car probably handles better than yours too. Even with coilovers. Because coilovers are just springs, just like torsion bars. They have their advantages, but they're not magic- they also have disadvantages.

Performance-Handling-Book-s.jpg

I guess my post was taken the wrong way, again, my fault. I literally thought he was funny (second time saying it). Regardless of what he has done or written ( I say this respectuflly), his post was not informative nor it answered my question, even though I dont think he was being serious. Anyways, If I could keep my torsion bars or if my car had leaf spings I would put the $1300+ somewhere else and i would probably read his book. Im sure his cars handle better than mine, and probably yours and all other FABO members rides too.Im putting together a car that will go on a straight line as fast as possible (for me) and will be street legal enough to take my wife out on sunday drives.

Im trying to get advice from all the knowledgable members in here, not start a he said-she said thread, but I think I succesfully accomplished the later one.

Thanks
Oj

-
Back