coilovers???

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
is it possible to but coil overs on my 74 duster with out switching to an alterkation front suspension or anything like that just want to stiffen up my my cornering. will be installing front and rear sway bars, but wondering if anyone sold coilovers for front and rear for a 74 duster thanks

I don't know if they're out there or not (I'm thinking they would be), but in order to do that you'd have to change your lower control arms and seriously beef up your stock towers.

not a good idea as the design is supposed to transfer the weight of the front end THROUGH the torsion bar and on to the torsion support. the shock towers were not meant to support any substantial weight. HOWEVER, if you designed a inner frame that transfered the weight through the firewall and to a roll cage, this would work. the inner frame would catch the upper mount of the coilover. This has been done in the past.

http://hemiduster.com/coilover.htm

i believe that RMS will sell you the things to do it. if you do it then definatley reinforce the shock towers.

if you want to improve the handling of the car and use the stock suspension its not hard to do at all. stick some .920-1" torsion bars in it, some sway bars front and rear, a good set of rear springs and good shocks all the way around. and all that stuff is useless if you don't put a tire on it that can handle it. oh and don't forget a nice firmfeel stage III steering box in that baby. i think you'll be happy with a combo like that.

book.gif
coil over front end with stock upper and lower a arms??

just do a search on moparts.com for the above and youll found it..mike

Ok thanks guys I'm getting a roll cage put in so maybe I'll have them add something to accept coilovers. But I'm def.going to put in all new front suspension and rear suspension

for all the work and trouble, I would just get a set of HD torsion bars, upgrade to 17x8 in tires, good shocks and sway bars. :)

Would 18x10 in the rear 18x8 in the front be doing too much ? With pretty much stock suspension with exceptions of t bars. And sway bars

:thumleft:
since i live 10 mins away from magnum force ill go down there on my day off and see what they can do for me thanks
I just order a coilover setup from magnumforce. I also got my TTi hader from them for my hemi swap, I went there and picked them up. They were really cool guys, they were taking lunch and still stopped to help me and answer any questions that i had. They also make a bar that supports the upper shock tower when you swap over to coilovers. I think they call it a forwad strut, I could be wrong about the name but I know they have it for sure,:thumleft:

-
Back