Coin Collectors

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me some coins to look into. She's 89, and has no interest in doing the legwork necessary to find their value.

The simplest way to describe them is that they are silver dimes, quarters and dollars and they weigh 8 pounds! There are a few Kennedy half dollars and three foreign coins.

She doesn't want to sell them, they were her deceased husband's, and she is just curious.

I know I'll have to go over each one separately. Is there a good online source for info?

I'm sure I'll get plenty of offers to get rid of the pesky things. lol I would expect nothing less from FABO members!

EDIT: As a reference, the two largest containers hold (20) 1 dollar coins, the next size down holds quarters, and the others hold dimes.

Janet's Coins.jpg

Wow, very cool!! I have an affinity for Morgan Dollars.

The PCGS is THE recognized source for numismatic values. It is also the place that will evaluate your coins and "slab" them into a holder while assigning a category of its condition for a fee. MS70 is the highest score, given only to untouched and perfect examples.

PCGS Coin Price Guide: The Industry Standard for US Coin Values

Littleton Coin Company also prints hard cover and paperback guides that are typically pretty reliable, along with detailed photos and good descriptions on each coin that will let you evaluate condition and corresponding current collector value. I.E., on Mercury dimes for example, the leaves on the back and the wings on his feet are more susceptible to showing wear. If you have a local coin shop (or a pawn shop with lots of coins), you can pick up a guide there that will get you started.

Have fun! You definitely have an awesome score there.

Wow, very cool!! I have an affinity for Morgan Dollars.

The PCGS is THE recognized source for numismatic values. It is also the place that will evaluate your coins and "slab" them into a holder while assigning a category of its condition for a fee. MS70 is the highest score, given only to untouched and perfect examples.

PCGS Coin Price Guide: The Industry Standard for US Coin Values

Littleton Coin Company also prints hard cover and paperback guides that are typically pretty reliable, along with detailed photos and good descriptions on each coin that will let you evaluate condition and corresponding current collector value. I.E., on Mercury dimes for example, the leaves on the back and the wings on his feet are more susceptible to showing wear. If you have a local coin shop (or a pawn shop with lots of coins), you can pick up a guide there that will get you started.

Have fun! You definitely have an awesome score there.

I hope I didn't imply that she has given them to me, but she sort of has. My wife and I have known her for 14 years, and she's like a dear aunt to us. She said when she dies, (I hate when people say stuff like that) we can have them, in the meantime, we're to just "hold them" for her. Lol, ya got to know her.

Thanks a lot. I have a lot to learn.

Coins are cool. I remember back in 1998 i was working the front counter at McDonalds. They were having a fish filet buy one get one free at 2$. This old lady comes in with a Morgan silver dollar and a lady liberty silver dollar, to pay for her fish. I was like are you sure you wanna use those? I swiped them out of the register and still have them today.

We have a lot of silver quarters that my wife always saved, along with quite a few Morgan silver dollars. Problem is there worth nothing to us because she won't part with them :rolleyes:. I figure grand kids will get them and use them for checker board pieces.:) ..Did you guy have those penny saving booklets when you were kids . They had a space for every year of penny and some special spaces for certain rare pennies like spvd ?? marking I think '09. I remember trying to fill it back then.

Last edited:
With your back to a fountain toss a coin over your left shoulder. To guarantee a return trip to Rome.

We have a lot of silver quarters that my wife always saved, along with quite a few Morgan silver dollars. Problem is there worth nothing to us because she won't part with them :rolleyes:. I figure grand kids will get them and use them for checker board pieces.:) ..Did you guy have those penny saving booklets when you were kids . They had a space for every year of penny and some special spaces for certain rare pennies like spvd ?? marking I think '09. I remember trying to fill it back then.
Yeah, one of the steel pennies from the 40's are worth big bucks now.

Coins are cool. I remember back in 1998 i was working the front counter at McDonalds. They were having a fish filet buy one get one free at 2$. This old lady comes in with a Morgan silver dollar and a lady liberty silver dollar, to pay for her fish. I was like are you sure you wanna use those? I swiped them out of the register and still have them today.

Those others are called Peace Dollars.

-
Back