"cold air intake" piping size

-
thanks ,I'm pretty pleased with it
sure seems to help with hot starts

thanks ,I'm pretty pleased with it
sure seems to help with hot starts
I'm looking at doing similar but taking them out through the front UCA cam bolt Windows on both sides, a lot more work but I don't want to cut any bodywork, I'm looking at putting filters on both ends out in the fender wells, I don't drive my car in the rain so figure it should be ok

sounds like a plan
I was a little worried about cutting the inner fenders, but I think it was worth it

and....done

(well almost, I still need to buy some vacuum hose to run around the cut edge, so that it doesn't damage the pipe as the engine rocks, but for now, there is some electrical tape on there)

1470259101_zpsrrxsk9bt.jpg

it took a LOT more cutting to get the bottom of the holes to nicely follow the tubes, but 2 dozen cut of wheels on the dremel took car of that

what you cant tell from the pictures are the two 90 degree silicone couplers hidden inside the fender
these are pointed forward and slightly up to keep the road debris, kicked up by the wheels from being sucked into the engine
they may or may not also work as a little bit of a ram air intake

How has this stood the test of time? I'm curious. Thanks

just fine
the elbows keep road dirt off and i ran some thin vacuum hose around the cuts in the fender to keep the edges from eating up the pipes

and....done

(well almost, I still need to buy some vacuum hose to run around the cut edge, so that it doesn't damage the pipe as the engine rocks, but for now, there is some electrical tape on there)

Excellent setup for a street Machine! Good chance of pressurized ram air vs. Cowl .
I believe the air coming over the Cowl is at negative pressure because it's speeding up to get over the windshield.(Bernoulli effect). It would be a good test to run a tube up there with a gauge to measure the air pressure.

1470259101_zpsrrxsk9bt.jpg

it took a LOT more cutting to get the bottom of the holes to nicely follow the tubes, but 2 dozen cut of wheels on the dremel took car of that

what you cant tell from the pictures are the two 90 degree silicone couplers hidden inside the fender
these are pointed forward and slightly up to keep the road debris, kicked up by the wheels from being sucked into the engine
they may or may not also work as a little bit of a ram air intake

once the wife comes home, ill get off daddy duty, and ill be able to snap some pics for you

Almost impossible to take a picture without jacking the front up, hopefully this helps

20180529_183501.jpg

Wow, it been a while since I saw this post, but I did come up with my own solution. Motor loves the cool air, and it definitely increased performance over my old air filter.
If I open the driver's vent under dash, my grandsons crack up because of the added intake noise coming through the cowl. They are always telling me, "punch it!" Papa.

Airbox1.JPG

Airbox2.JPG

hey guys
i am considering putting a "cold air intake" on my duster
i would utilize a spectre air cleaner housing like this one
98648 - Spectre , Low Profile 14 In. OD x 5-13/32 H - 135 Degree Chromed

it would be much like the olds W30 ram air packages, with two aluminum intercooler style pipes going from the cowl to the air cleaner

now, my biggest question is on the proper size of those two pipes

the air cleaner has two four inch intakes, but it looks like i can only manage to hook up a 3 inch pipe to the cowl

will two 3 inch pipes be enough to feed a 420 HP 408 ?

and if i do have to choke it, where is the best place to go from 4 to 3 inches?

Thanks @famous bob
You can see in post 25 how I ended running mine
I like the idea of quick connects, I'm just running flexible couplers, if I need to get to the air filter, I just undo the driver side hose clamp, and slide that side pipe out
That will allow the passenger side to move out, and the housing to move up and out of the way

Thanks @famous bob
You can see in post 25 how I ended running mine
I like the idea of quick connects, I'm just running flexible couplers, if I need to get to the air filter, I just undo the driver side hose clamp, and slide that side pipe out
That will allow the passenger side to move out, and the housing to move up and out of the way
I drilled 1/8" hles and made aluminum t handle slip pins for fast removal, much faste and easier than screwing w/ clamps. Pull the pin, slide hose off. A little tedious re installing the pins tho.

Uh, a 12.6x3" filter has 118 square inches of surface area, so, quite a bit more than a 14x2.

The Mopar Performance air cleaner is only 12 3/4" x 2.75", so, 110 square inches of surface area.
View attachment 1715765383

And I run mine with a 13x2.3" filter for hood clearance. K&N E-2865 K&N Washable Lifetime Performance Air Filters | Summit Racing

Seems to work just fine with my 400+ hp 340. I didn't notice any difference at all going from the original MP filter down to the 13x2.3, and that's a change from 110 sq. inches to 94.
I'm running that same housing but 2 5/8 Kand N filter... its a working g deal

hey guys
i am considering putting a "cold air intake" on my duster
i would utilize a spectre air cleaner housing like this one
98648 - Spectre , Low Profile 14 In. OD x 5-13/32 H - 135 Degree Chromed

it would be much like the olds W30 ram air packages, with two aluminum intercooler style pipes going from the cowl to the air cleaner

now, my biggest question is on the proper size of those two pipes

the air cleaner has two four inch intakes, but it looks like i can only manage to hook up a 3 inch pipe to the cowl

will two 3 inch pipes be enough to feed a 420 HP 408 ?

and if i do have to choke it, where is the best place to go from 4 to 3 inches?
I guess they're not making them that link says no product fits your description

anyone else have any thoughts on this?
right now my main concern is if a dual three inch intake is enough for a naturally aspirated engine
I thought I was the only one trying to squeeze every tiny percentage of a horsepower I could ever get out of anything! No offense intended, that's a compliment where I come from!

-
Back