Cold-Case Review in a 66 Barracuda MOP751

-

68Cummins

Reaction score
I first want it start by saying Eric at CC was great to deal with. The radiator is well made and looks great. I like that it is offered without a trans cooler for my 4 speed car. The price is also spot on, they did offer a discount to me for being a FABO member.
As far as installing, it is NOT BOLT IN. I spent hours hammering and reshaping the lower section of the radiator support to finally get 1/4” between the hood and standered cap. The original radiator is 22 1/4” OAH, the CC radiator is 23 3/4” OAH. I could not get the metal in the lower part of the radiator support to move enough to use the CC factory machined slots in the top of the mounting flanges. So I had to drill new top holes. There were no bottom holes pre-drilled in the mounting flanges so I drilled them as well. If your ok with cutting the lower section of the radiator support out you can have this radiator in you 66 in no time. If you don’t want to cut or hammer this my not be the radiator for you, do a lot of pre-measurements before you order. I could have never hammed the metal and got this to fit with the engine in.
Lastly, I have a 2” spacer on the mechanical fan, as far as I know this is original. I am expecting to have to buy or machine a shorter spacer. If the engine and fan fit back in as they were with the stock radiator it will be with less than 1/4” clearance between the fan blade and new CC radiator.
Hope this helps.

03DB4467-918C-47F0-9EBC-4E94D3E8C14E.jpeg

2CF26FBE-4D45-4514-981C-1D140AE5A9D6.jpeg

EAFD6336-4B9D-4247-AE74-B80E0DF80CDD.jpeg

BD8DC350-BCAC-4132-8CB8-6F3E71E79C07.jpeg

it will help me, I am just about to do the same on my 66 Barracuda. I am glad you posted this as I am about to put my motor in but now will test fit/make fit my new radiator first. Then remove it and install engine. Thanks man, you probably saved my bacon here. Jeff

Same on my 66 Barracuda. A lot of movement and mods to make work. Not drop in as they claim. But can’t wait for the results.
Joe

Just for the record, we were hoping it would be bolt in but that's why we reached out to 68. We offered this model in hopes of getting feedback that would help us be able to fine tune one of our units to be a direct fit for a 1966. Previously, we had another member Len help perfect the 67-69 A-body unit to the point where you could even install the OEM fan shroud. This was our first real experience with a member with a 1966 A body.
With this info, we'll be able to produce a better fitting model.

Just for the record, we were hoping it would be bolt in but that's why we reached out to 68. We offered this model in hopes of getting feedback that would help us be able to fine tune one of our units to be a direct fit for a 1966. Previously, we had another member Len help perfect the 67-69 A-body unit to the point where you could even install the OEM fan shroud. This was our first real experience with a member with a 1966 A body.
With this info, we'll be able to produce a better fitting model.

I will be happy to offer a drawing and some dimensions if you like. It is a nice unit, I also liked the mounting point for and electric fan shroud. I this will make it clean later down the road when I add the electric fan.

I hope no one takes my post as hurtful criticism, just sharing my experience with this product. I think Cold-Case offers a good radiator at a fair and competitive price. If it wasn’t nice I would not have spent hours making it work in my car.

On another note, does anyone know why the radiator mounts are different? The passenger side mounts almost flush to the support where the driver side stand off the support about 1/2-3/4”.

Since I chimed in earlier I will now after Cold Case’s reply.

Just for the record my set up will work but it took a tad bit of mods. For the cost of the radiator (less than a factory copper recored) it is a deal. I’m hoping less weight, and cooling ability out weighs the need to modify. In this “on demand” amazon world were everything works perfectly every time or money back.... we forget the true meaning of hot rodding.

I own a welding shop and heavy equipment repair company for 23 years now in CT. I understand the RandD it takes to make such and item and the risk it takes to put a product to market. I have a 66 abody and if you are willing to talk about us doing real RandD work for you; pm me directly. We can mock up a all stock factory 273 formula S automatic car we have out back and a newer small blocked (74’ drivetrain) in a 66 Barracuda automatic. I will work for product of that helps your end. Just Pm me. Enough said.
Joe

The biggest help anyone can offer is letting us borrow a OEM 1966 A-body unit. That way we know what we need to make it fit correctly.

If Cold Case is willing to pay for shipping and return shipping ( I want it back ) I have my original OEM 1966 Barracuda radiator sitting in my garage. The side mounting bracket on one side is loose but it should not interfere with what you will need to get your measurements correct. You can take your time and get what you need, I have no plans on using it in the near future. I just spoke with Chris via private message and he asked for these pictures.
Bob

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Last edited:
If Cold Case is willing to pay for shipping and return shipping ( I want it back ) I have my original OEM 1966 Barracuda radiator sitting in my garage. The side mounting bracket on one side is loose but it should not interfere with what you will need to get your measurements correct. You can take your time and get what you need, I have no plans on using it in the near future.
Bob

My name is Len, I'm the guy Chris mentioned in his reply post. I started working with Chris and Brian at Cold Case to manufacture a direct fit drop in Cold Case radiator for the 67 thru 69 A bodies. It all started back in June of last year at the Syracuse Nationals. To give them measurements off of a factory radiator helps but it's not as good as them actually having a radiator to take all the measurements from. I gave Chris my original radiator so he could take it back with him after the Nationals. They sent it back to me a few weeks later in perfect condition except it was so old my car kept overheating. I received the prototype in early December and for being a early prototype this radiator is perfect. So I have a prototype radiator sitting in my 68 340 Dart GTS with a automatic tranny. The radiator fits like a glove and I was able to bolt up my OEM shroud to the radiator. The only small issue was the top of the shroud does not but up to the tank. I called Brian who is the manufacturing manager at Cold Case and told him about the small gap ( about 3/4 of a inch ) he explained that they couldn't duplicate the top tank. Not a issue, I took the radiator and shroud to a buddies fabricating shop and we fabricated a piece of tin to mount to the under side of the shroud to give it a clean look and it fits perfect up to the tank. We made two of these and I sent one to Brian so he can duplicate it and I'm sure if someone purchases a direct fit 67/69 radiator this piece will be included if someone is going to run a shroud. I do have photos but can't up load off this computer but I will post them. As far as the tranny lines go I had to bend one about a half inch with no problems the other fit perfect. The tranny line connectors on the radiator are in the correct spot as is the intake and outlet radiator hoses. All I can say is Cold Case ( Chris and Brian ) were fantastic to deal with and they truly do have a great radiator !

So can anyone explain why the radiator mounts are not the same from driver to passenger?
Why is the radiator not parallel to the support?
Does the driveline set at a slight angle?

I will be happy to offer a drawing and some dimensions if you like. It is a nice unit, I also liked the mounting point for and electric fan shroud. I this will make it clean later down the road when I add the electric fan.

I hope no one takes my post as hurtful criticism, just sharing my experience with this product. I think Cold-Case offers a good radiator at a fair and competitive price. If it wasn’t nice I would not have spent hours making it work in my car.

On another note, does anyone know why the radiator mounts are different? The passenger side mounts almost flush to the support where the driver side stand off the support about 1/2-3/4”.

Here are some photos of my cold case prototype direct fit radiator. I didn't have to modify anything, everything lined up perfect. These photos were taken after I got it back from the fabricating shop. The gap on top is actually less than a 1/8 of an inch. I will upload more photos once I get it back in the car. The last picture is the piece that we fabricated and I sent one to Brian
015.JPG
017.JPG
019.JPG
021.JPG

That looks real nice. If you look at the factory fan shroud that is in my 66 Barracuda along with a factory radiator you will notice that there is a nice size gap between the shroud and the radiator, there is no modification, this is the way it fit's. I have seen other early A Bodies with the same factory shroud and they all fit the same way.
Bob

z279.JPG

z280.JPG

That looks real nice. If you look at the factory fan shroud that is in my 66 Barracuda along with a factory radiator you will notice that there is a nice size gap between the shroud and the radiator, there is no modification, this is the way it fit's. I have seen other early A Bodies with the same factory shroud and they all fit the same way.
Bob

View attachment 1715281658

View attachment 1715281660

That's true, most factory shrouds have a gap. My original shroud on my original radiator had a gap also. They are not really efficient as they pull air from all over instead of directly thru the radiator

That's true, most factory shrouds have a gap. My original shroud on my original radiator had a gap also. They are not really efficient as they pull air from all over instead of directly thru the radiator
I got the radiator back into the car, I like the OEM look so I tried my hand at painting the Cold Case aluminum radiator. It came out really good but it's all in the prepping. It has to be really clean and I used 600 grit paper on it. I painted the upper tank lower section and side brackets. I did not paint the center fins. Here are some photos.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

-
Back