Cold temps issues

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
When its cooler out, or just plain cold... The couple of times I've started my car, it does not like the cold weather. The choke is working fine, but I have to feather the throttle to keep it running. Im running a QFT 750 Carb on my 360 with a air gap and magnum heads. Where should I look or do to cure this issue?

mine is the same way.corse i dont drive it in the winter,but i just play with the throttle until its warmed up

I dont drive mine in the winter either, but late fall and early spring when the temp is in the 50's. I feel I would have to sit in the car until it is up to operating temp for it to be normal.

Late last fall I took it out and every time I let off the gas it died. It would start up right away but die when I let off the gas again. Just hoping to cure this annoying issue.

An air gap does not work well in cold climates until the engine is at full operating temp. Some heat is needed to help the fuel to atomize.
In FL I run all my carbs without a choke. Idle AFR at start up is 16.5:1on the wideband. Once up to operating temp it settles in at 13.2

If the outside temp is afew degrees either side of freezing, and the humidity is just right, the carb may/will experience icing.
FWIW extra timing cures mine. I have a dial-back Spark control, dash mounted.
My AG/Holley is good to Zero*C/+32F, Maybe a bit less.

Thanks again guys. I didnt even think about the air gap being part of the problem.. Guess, the car will only come out when its on the warmer side.

-
Back