collapsible steering shaft

-

moparmade43

Reaction score
the steering shaft in my duster was seperated when I bought it, at the plastic injection points. The lower part of the shaft that attaches to the steering coupling and steering gear box will slide in and out at will. The question is, I know this is so it will shear in case of an accident, but can you drive the car like this, since the gear box isn't going anywhere, and the tube is bolted to the dash frame and the firewall, or can the steering wheel actually still move in and out. Are these little plastic pieces actually holding the steering shaft together, or can I just slip them over each other when I install it and go?

Any help is appreciated.

Will

Chrysler used to have a repair kit for this. You may still be able to find one somewhere. The easiest thing would be to go to the harware store and pick up some nylon screws. The steering wheel won't come out (assuming other parts aren't missing) but do the job right and fix it.

The only issue wiould be the lower shaft moving up and down freely in the box coupling thus shortening its life. I would pin it back togeher.

Is it a big job to get the upper shaft out of the steering tube to repair the two shafts? The collar and everything was all rewired and painted and reassembled before I got it.

The early model column are simple compairatively. There is a snap ring above the upper bearing to remove .Both pieces go out the bottom end. I'd put 2 new bearings in it if it doesn't have them already. I can't imagine why someone would do a half restore unless....
If its a manual steering shaft in a power steering car. The "pin it" holes aligned would place the shaft 3 inches too long.

Mine has been collapsed for a few years. I had to smash it with a big hammer to bust the weld. I was told it would be fine because once the steering coupler pin is installed it cant go anywhere.

-
Back