Color sanded my car today. Took a LONG time !

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
My plans for today were to get up early and color sand / Cut & buff my car then start tuning the carb/timing once it got late enough that I felt comfortable in reving my engine for a while.
YEAH... That didn't happen !

Got the car cut and buffed . Only took 9 hrs !

Now Im pooped ! Lol

6E196CC6-ED45-4C4D-91C3-E498757EEA9E.jpeg
7A06896C-E810-40F1-984A-C0F6AFFE4D7D.jpeg
9E136277-4484-407E-A978-3CC619DAE653.jpeg

looks great ! Fastbacks look good in white and the slots set it off.

looks great ! Fastbacks look good in white and the slots set it off.

Thanks ! It was an original Black car but I just couldn't live with that here .... it will be 101 tomorrow !
I see some spots I need to hit with the 3000 grit a little more.

I have a set of 15x8 steels and 14x5s for the front being powder coated white right now ... and Dog Dishes for them . To replace the slots.

The offset is a little off (Wide) on these slots and the fronts hit a bit when I turn. Otherwise I like the look of the Slots.

Love those 6 window slots, dont see many of them anymore. What was your technique and grit progression?

Beautiful car. Did you paint it? I have been painting cars for 40 years. I only do them one way, totally anal on perfection. You are right; it does take a LONG time to color sand. You actually did quite well to do it all in 9 hours. Must not have taken many breaks, but the end result was worth it. I usually sand with 1000, 1500, 2000 and then 2500. Then I buff with the 3M 3 stage polishing system. The only thing that takes longer is block sanding primer.

1000,1500,2000,3000 and a buff with Mcguires polish. I wish I could say the paint is perfect .... but Alas. Its just a driver quality single stage. [

QUOTE="harrisonm, post: 1972589106, member: 636"]Beautiful car. Did you paint it? I have been painting cars for 40 years. I only do them one way, totally anal on perfection. You are right; it does take a LONG time to color sand. You actually did quite well to do it all in 9 hours. Must not have taken many breaks, but the end result was worth it. I usually sand with 1000, 1500, 2000 and then 2500. Then I buff with the 3M 3 stage polishing system. The only thing that takes longer is block sanding primer.[/QUOTE]

Nice work! Colour sanding is a tricky job as you never know when you’ve gone too far (burned through the clear or the color coat for single stage paint) until you actually have gone too far.

The 3rd picture is the best one as it actually shows a reflection. White cars are the easiest to maintain as they show the least reflection and hide dirst/flaws the easiest/best.

Last edited:
Looks great. I know the pain there.

I had a dark gray 06 F150 that was all scratched up but I was ready to sell. I knew all it needed was a cut with 2000 grit and a buff and it would look great. Spent 8 hours on a Saturday and when I was done, it looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor.

Listed it on craigslist and the guy came and looked at it and bought it at 9pm at night. Said the body didn't really matter too much for him since he was going to use it as a ranch truck lol.

Beautiful car, I like it.

Mine is a 50 footer....and I have really bad eye sight, lol.

Nice! But did you pay you self $120 an hour like a body shop or is it $250 an hour?!!!???

My jobs are always 10 footers, damn all that for single stage urethane!!!!!

15x8 in rear with M/T SS Drag 255/60-15s

14x6 in front with Michelin 205/70 -14s

-
Back