color sanding single stage

-
This wont ease your pain, but the factory didnt exactly spray the underhood area to "show car" quality standards.

X2 fratzog lover!!!! LOL look at an original virgin mopar, sags everywhere, undercoating here and there.
I guess the high end, big dollar concours show guys still demand "original" lookin paint jobs!!???? non of the base/clear mega glow stuff!????????????????????
2 days after I paint an engine bay, its dirty, dusty, etc etc....

This wont ease your pain, but the factory didnt exactly spray the underhood area to "show car" quality standards.

is does ease mymind abit because am building the car to be as orignal as possible.

Hey Darren . I worked in GM's Oshawa car assembly plant#1 Paint shop in the eighties and worked as a line sprayer, one of the jobs i worked on was under hood color in the prime booth . We hosed the paint on. as other guys said, they were more worried about thin paint than runs in the motor compartment we were running 80 units per hour that figured out to about 50 seconds to paint your side of the car , the hood was on . The guy on the left raised the hood and installed a prop rod to hold it up , applied paint to the bottom of the window opening ,left side of the shock tower ,firewall ,inside edge of the left fender then across the rad support then across the rear of the hood up the inner edge and then across the front of the hood so as you can see there wasn't time for much finesse .That was when they first went to base/clear coat and they never applied clear to the engine compartment , that was when we where building the Pontiac J6000 I hope this sheds a bit of light on auto assembly, they were all about quantity and not so much about quality.So I'm sure your car looks better than it did when it was fresh of the line. Good Luck . Bob

Hey Darren . I worked in GM's Oshawa car assembly plant#1 Paint shop in the eighties and worked as a line sprayer, one of the jobs i worked on was under hood color in the prime booth . We hosed the paint on. as other guys said, they were more worried about thin paint than runs in the motor compartment we were running 80 units per hour that figured out to about 50 seconds to paint your side of the car , the hood was on . The guy on the left raised the hood and installed a prop rod to hold it up , applied paint to the bottom of the window opening ,left side of the shock tower ,firewall ,inside edge of the left fender then across the rad support then across the rear of the hood up the inner edge and then across the front of the hood so as you can see there wasn't time for much finesse .That was when they first went to base/clear coat and they never applied clear to the engine compartment , that was when we where building the Pontiac J6000 I hope this sheds a bit of light on auto assembly, they were all about quantity and not so much about quality.So I'm sure your car looks better than it did when it was fresh of the line. Good Luck . Bob

thanks Bob that is some good info.

Looks dry to me and sanding - buffing may not help the problem - should have reshot it - engine bays are hard to paint due to many angles and not much room to work in

Looks dry to me and sanding - buffing may not help the problem - should have reshot it - engine bays are hard to paint due to many angles and not much room to work in

yes it was dry. i shot the underside of my hood today. and i layed it on thick. turned out great. i should of researched a bit more before shoting the engine bay. but all an all i am happy. thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20140804_225724.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20140804_220633.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 95
-
Back