Column shift interference?

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
With my 1975 Scamp /6 to 383 swap (Schumacher Kit), power steering, column shift auto, factory HP 383/440 manifolds.
I keep reading how there's interference with steering shaft outer collar, and how you can't do this setup with auto on the column.
What am I missing?
Here are three pics of the position of the arm connected to the column. First, the trans is in Park, Second pic the trans is in Drive, and third pic trans in "1".
How would there be interference?
steering column in Park.JPG

steering column in Drive.JPG

steering column in 1.JPG

You should route the starter wires under the column & use that wire holder at right to make sure your column does not wear into the wiring & ground out the system.

Hey Thanks. Yeah, the Slant is still in it, 383 built on stand. The wires are just hanging out.

The manifolds will not work on an RB, not sure about a B, with an un-cut column. We did build a '67 Barracuda with a 383 and power steering. In the pics it looks like we didn't cut the column, but every build is a little different. You'll find out when you get it together.

I believe you may be getting confused with the early A body swap. That's where the clearance issues come into play. You may be ok. If not, you should be able to swap out a C body HP manifold on the driver's side and it will clear.

Check out the third pic down on this page
B-Body HP Manifolds
It's TIGHT by the steering column "collar" coming out of the fire wall. It seems my '75 Scamp shaft is different as pictured above, smaller collar? I also read where someone made a diagonal cut in the collar.
I'm still determined to make the column shift auto happen. (there's a great fabricator guy I know...)

What do you guys think?

-
Back