Column shift question...

-

72DartCustom

Reaction score
The column to select what gears feels really sloppy. It has a lot of play in it. Is there some way I can tighten the cable so it takes all of the slop away? Its a 904 automatic transmission.

Thanks.

No cable but rods on mine--there is plastic cups the linkage gets pressed in to, those need to be replaced. A trans shop can do it in 10 mins or you can find the cups and do it yourself. It is easier to do using a hoist

No cable but rods on mine--there is plastic cups the linkage gets pressed in to, those need to be replaced. A trans shop can do it in 10 mins or you can find the cups and do it yourself. It is easier to do using a hoist

Thanks. I just assumed it was a cable. How much does something like this cost?

I had them replaced when they rebuilt the trans.

Those cups can't cost more then $10 for all of them, shouldn't be too much, I would just stop at a few trans shops til you find a friendly place that has those cups and an open bay--some shops are in to different makes of cars, when you find a Mopar shop they will like your car and be willing to help.

$20 would be cool, $30 they are a little greedy but if they clean/lube it all up it be fair, IMO grease/inspect the u-joints might be a good idea while its up on the hoist

-
Back