Column to Floor Auto shift '66 Dart

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a '66 Dart 4dr with a column shift 904 and I'm having thoughts to rebuild it to floor shift and I wonder if it's possible, seems quite easy but then it better to ask before doing!

What shifter should I use? I understand that I'll have to make a longer stick.

Best Regards!!

The floor shift assembly from 66 thru 76 is all about the same. Consoles for the most part are about the same. If you have a bench seat, you'll have to swap it for buckets of course. I've seen several ads for the complete shifter assembly including brackets, linkage, etc. Same for a console.

For the complete look, you'll need to swap the collar that has the column shifter lever on it for a plain one - 65/66 GTs/Signet/Barracuda or 63/64 which were plain. Friend of mine just pulled a manual steering column from a 64 Valiant, which might be just what you need as far as a steering column goes.

So there's no possibility to run a floor shift with a bench seat? The lack of console and so on would not be a problem, just need to get rid of the console shifter for header clearance but I really, really like my bench!

NorthernSwede. If you don't care if you have a stock floor shifter, use one of Lokars'
shifter. I have a Lokar double bend Nostalgia shifter in my 65 Valiant with a bench
seat. There are other aftermarker shifters out there, get Summit or some other
vendor cataloge or go online and find one.

You can mount a shifter(B&M)anywhere you want.Mine has the cable from shifter to tranny and was a breeze to install.I also swapped from column shift power steering to floor shift manual steering.Good luck.

-
Back