Common OBDII codes after swap

-

player1up

Reaction score
I finally got around to adding in the ODBII port to pull the codes just to see if anything was amiss.
Here's what I got:
P0500 -- No vehicle speed sensor output -- No problem, no sensor at the rear end

P0144 -- 02 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank I Sensor 3)
P0147 -- O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 3)

Thinking that my 90° oil filter adapter leak has contaminated the plug...actually know that is soaked, but still runs fine.

Anyone else have any common codes after the swap?

not if you have the pcm correctly flashed to turn off extra O2 sensors, emissions and leak detection pump.

You are now running in "limp home" mode, which causes the pcm to stay in open loop ie no O2 control, so you will get lower HP, MPG and a host of other issues. You will need a speed sensor and flash to remove O2 heater relay codes.

Doubt if O2 codes are from oil leak, that would give you a code of O2 volts low, not high. Your pcm must be a CA spec rather than Fed spec. Really surprised you dont have LDP code, Evap leak code and batt temp code...possibly not setting them due to O2 codes keeping it from closed loop. It might not set emissions codes until it coes into closed loop, depending on what year pcm is.

Bank 1 sensor 3 should be after the catalytic converter which I'll bet you don't have.

Most all common codes that pop up with OBDII will pop up wherever the system is. It does not matter that it has been swapped into something else. Unless of course, something got damaged or left disconnected during the swap.

Some of the hot codes I see at work include the following.

O2 codes. Pick one.

P0300 codes. Again, pick one.

300 is random misfire.

301 is cylinder one. 302 is cylinder two and so on.

Mass air codes.

MAP codes.

EVAP codes. This may or may not be relevant depending on how far you went with your swap.

Temp sensor codes.

These are about the most common in this area. I don't know the individual codes off the top of my head. Each problem has more than one code. Some have several.

But for the most part, as I said, it does not matter what vehicle the system is in as to what's more popular for codes.

not sure how you get mass air flow codes on a MAP system....

Most codes like O2 codes or sensor codes are called "manufacturer" codes and will set pretty much as soon as you start or turn key on. Some O2 codes, like the heater relay codes will set after a certain time limit. If you have manufacturer codes, it wont go into closed loop and most emission codes only set in closed loop.

If you fix the VSS code and O2 heater relay code, it should go into closed loop at which point it will set another half dozen codes for no evap solenoid, large vacuum leak, small vacuum leak, batt temp sensor , etc. Then you will get O2 volts low codes due to no cat. A flash will fix several of these codes assuming you built the harness correctly.

not sure how you get mass air flow codes on a MAP system....

Most codes like O2 codes or sensor codes are called "manufacturer" codes and will set pretty much as soon as you start or turn key on. Some O2 codes, like the heater relay codes will set after a certain time limit. If you have manufacturer codes, it wont go into closed loop and most emission codes only set in closed loop.

If you fix the VSS code and O2 heater relay code, it should go into closed loop at which point it will set another half dozen codes for no evap solenoid, large vacuum leak, small vacuum leak, batt temp sensor , etc. Then you will get O2 volts low codes due to no cat. A flash will fix several of these codes assuming you built the harness correctly.

I didn't say that. I simply meant either or. Show me where I said both in one system. You inferred that. And incorrectly.

not if you have the pcm correctly flashed to turn off extra O2 sensors, emissions and leak detection pump.

You are now running in "limp home" mode, which causes the pcm to stay in open loop ie no O2 control, so you will get lower HP, MPG and a host of other issues. You will need a speed sensor and flash to remove O2 heater relay codes.

Doubt if O2 codes are from oil leak, that would give you a code of O2 volts low, not high. Your pcm must be a CA spec rather than Fed spec. Really surprised you dont have LDP code, Evap leak code and batt temp code...possibly not setting them due to O2 codes keeping it from closed loop. It might not set emissions codes until it coes into closed loop, depending on what year pcm is.

Yes, We're talking about 5.9L swap and what specific codes people have after a magnum swap, not what do codes mean. I can look those up all day long on google.

Wouldn't limp mode make it not shift? or is there more than one kind of limp mode?

I have all 3 o2 sensors installed. One on each side after the manifolds and one downstream ( after the non existent cat ) I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't wire in the 3rd o2 sensor wrong ( I had to extend the wires to reach where I wanted to put it ) maybe I'll just unplug it for now and see how it behaves....did a little research...that p0144 code is sensor shorted to voltage, AND I just looked at it on the car and it IS wired correctly...now I have to go "skinned wire hunting" UGH

From what I've read, the PCM doesn't need the vehicle speed sensor, it uses the output speed sensor in the middle of the trans. The only issue I ever had with the trans is when I forgot to plug in the output sensor during initial testing.

Does it need the VSS for closed loop operation? if so, that's gonna be a deal breaker for closed loop mode unless I can figure out how to use the speed sensor from the 8.8 rear :lol:

Does the after cat sensor problem force it to stay in open loop? I thought only the front 2 controlled that and the #3 was there for cat efficiency readings...

PCM is Fed spec but did have it flashed by the guy in Lantana FL to remove the security. I told him what I was doing with the setup and he said no problem.

they will still shift in open loop, you should have had either 2 or 4 O2's, not 3. The output shaft speed is used to measure slip % between input and output so pcm knows how to regulate gov press. You can use an 8.8 pulse or get a tail shaft/od housing with speed sensor. The guy that flashed out SKiM should have turned off all O2 but one, evap system etc...I will post pic after lunch

they will still shift in open loop, you should have had either 2 or 4 O2's, not 3. The output shaft speed is used to measure slip % between input and output so pcm knows how to regulate gov press. You can use an 8.8 pulse or get a tail shaft/od housing with speed sensor. The guy that flashed out SKiM should have turned off all O2 but one, evap system etc...I will post pic after lunch

well $*&^...now you've got me thinking..I don't have a plug for a 4th o2 sensor.. thought it was 2 pre cat ( one in each side of the y pipe ) and one post cat. I've got some digging to do.

As for the VSS, I have a cable speedo unit in the back of the trans now, but I still have the electric unit sitting...somewhere

-
Back