comp 280 magnum or mp 280 cams can't decide!

-

kevins67

Reaction score
I need help of the 2 going in a 360 LA block 9:8:1 comp street strip 727 2500 stall 67 dart either 3:73 or 3:91

I have one question for you. What heads are you using? Stock iron heads or aftermarket, ported stock?

I personally would pass on both and find a dual pattern cam. One with more duration and lift on the exhaust side. The exhaust flow on stock iron heads is a little low. the extra lift and duration on the exhaust side will empty the cylinder better.

Man that sucks! But I'll go with you advice what are you thinking for specs and brand? They actually did a dyno with that comp with a junkyard 360 with very little work done and pulled 390hp and a hair over 400 ft lbstq. Let me know thanks!

You planning on using stock rocker arms or aftermarket adjustable?

You likely won't be getting close to 400hp with any of those cams unless the heads are ported pretty well.

I've read up on the 79 cordoba 360 build they used smog heads ported them to j heads then used a torker 2 intake and some 1 3/4 headers with a Carter tq rejetted using comps 280 magnum made 390hp and 404ftlbs.

The MP cam should actually be bigger then the Comp Cam when it comes to the duration @ .050. Here's some food for thought. The first MP create 360 engines were a 9.0-1 with a stock head (308/576) with 2.02-1.60 valves and a single plane intake. They used that cam in the 360/360HP engine. The recommended a 750 CFM carb and 1-3/4 header. I do remember the J out flowing the 308 head in low lift. (IIRC that is.) and those cams arepa lift cams. They relay on the duration more than the lift for power.

Considering the low lift of the cam, it will work with the head. Bowl porting the head well is the only advantage you can get with that cam. For the most part.

I say, run what ya got. Later on, I suggest either a set of Comp or Hughes engines roller rockers.

Porting a smog head to a J head is a misinformed statement.

Use of a RPM and a Holley will seriously out perform the TorkerII & TQ. With the similar ported heads as the mag. Article shows, my suggested way will net approx. 20 HP greater on the big end. Take it from the been there done that guy. OH! P.S. I like a TQ more than a Holley. And yes I run TQ's over a Holley. But not every time.

Well I have a mp cam on order the 280 dur that is but if you want me to run what I got your not going to be impressed with this cam being off road use its a xe 256 455 exh lol 1000-5200 lol.

And I did not install this cam I bought the block which was machined and put together it was going into a jeep definitely not street manners.

The comp 280 has a dur. of 230/230 @50 & its on a 110 LSA & 106 ICL, The MP 284/484 has a dur. of 238/238 @50 & is on a 108 LSA if i remember currectly, I'm thinking the ICL is 104.

I think the cam Duster360 listed might work good.

I've read up on the 79 cordoba 360 build they used smog heads ported them to j heads then used a torker 2 intake and some 1 3/4 headers with a Carter tq rejetted using comps 280 magnum made 390hp and 404ftlbs.

Yeah, run it and be disappointed when it doesn't make as much as they said. Westech dyno strikes again.

That had a set of ported heads on it as well.

Cracked, considering what Ma-MoPar rated the engine at, or should I say underrated it at, 30 hp from bowl ported heads is possible I think. Though I still wouldn't run a TorkerII and a TQ! LOL!

Engines built like what you want usually run about 350hp. If you port the heads well it will be in the 375 range. I'd run a different intake and carb, something like what rumble mentioned

MM articles are pretty famous for grossly inflated numbers. Like the stock shortblock, stock headed 340 with a xe268H making almost 400hp... LMAO... sure they do. BTW, I can make an engine make ~15more hp on a dyno with nothing more than a few keystroke or a medical device. So yeah, you can fudge numbers pretty badly on a dyno.

Good luck, I'm out.

Pick your parts pay your money.

Cracked, considering what Ma-MoPar rated the engine at, or should I say underrated it at, 30 hp from bowl ported heads is possible I think. Though I still wouldn't run a TorkerII and a TQ! LOL!

Yeah I'm 29 but I apparently run old school parts! Lol

Excuse my language but I'm ready to say fuckit and run my rv cam change out my intake and carb and through on some tti headers and maybe I'll have a 300hp 360 that will pull low 14's 95 mph

-
Back