Comp cam lifter problems.......what lifters?

-
nm mopar?
comp
MM 6580 .525 261 235 153

Engle
KV-1 .582" .546" .364" 269° 239° 155°
Many thanks sir. Can you help me decode the data? Like, what is the 2nd degree number and the number in each line that is around 150-155 degrees?
EDIT: Never mind; I found the Comp profile online and see the meanings. Very interesting. Very aggressive ramps there....I need a test engine... and an egnine dyno LOL

Good there are others but those two fit your criteria best
for others the MM is Comps cam series the other Mopar series is I think MP .525 is the lift [email protected]? "advertised" but actual would change with lash
261 is at .050 cam lift (gross you have to subtract lash) 153 is at .200- where the flow is
Engle has lift at 1.6 and 1.5 rest is the same order as comp
best to fill out Street Performance | Jones Cams
best lobes and tech support in the business
if you look at the intensities on the left side of the comp cam masters list you will see that they are not that intense- they just have a bigger lifter to work with

Wyrmrider...great to see you here Jim. I'm still kicking as is that old blue dually!

You fellas have a genuine hot rodder among this group. Jim likely has 60+ years working among the legends of the hobby. Listen carefully when he speaks...

I don't think these hydraulic lifter noise issues are only related to absence of ZDDP. I think it's mostly related to metalurgy, tolerances inside the components, and cleanliness like others have mentioned. The OEMs are still installing millions of hydraulic lifters every year with low failure rates. I would guess they simply demand a little better quality control. Majority of Comps crap is made in China, although some is cast/forged in China and machined here. It's the same for most performance parts these days, and we all suffer.

I don't think these hydraulic lifter noise issues are only related to absence of ZDDP. I think it's mostly related to metalurgy, tolerances inside the components, and cleanliness like others have mentioned. The OEMs are still installing millions of hydraulic lifters every year with low failure rates. I would guess they simply demand a little better quality control. Majority of Comps crap is made in China, although some is cast/forged in China and machined here. It's the same for most performance parts these days, and we all suffer.
I am finding out that valve spring pressure has alot to do with hyd lifter problems.

Last edited:
I finding out that valve spring pressure has alot to do with hyd lifter problems.

Yep. To keep up with the father ramp you need a spring with more load and a higher rate. They hydraulics don't like it.

Anything much over a stock lobe and I just use a solid lifter.

Wyrmrider...great to see you here Jim. I'm still kicking as is that old blue dually!

You fellas have a genuine hot rodder among this group. Jim likely has 60+ years working among the legends of the hobby. Listen carefully when he speaks...
I will find that w2 head if you really need it- it's just that it's buried- need to do a vj on the dakota or any new head suggestions I currently have MP heads with stainless valves and springs with dampners-$200 each on sale years ago when my stepfather overheated the stock ones and you know what happens I do not think these are the GT heads but supposed to be better than stock
can you afford the gas or find a way to get better mileage?

I will find that w2 head if you really need it- it's just that it's buried- need to do a vj on the dakota or any new head suggestions I currently have MP heads with stainless valves and springs with dampners-$200 each on sale years ago when my stepfather overheated the stock ones and you know what happens I do not think these are the GT heads but supposed to be better than stock
can you afford the gas or find a way to get better mileage?
Take yout time on that head...it would be a good spare for my next project.

-
Back