Comparing manual trans options - variables other than gear ratios?

-
I’m not sure who Paul Cangialosi is, but if you think he can fix it, it’s definitely worth letting him take a shot at it. If he can fix it it would help a lot of guys fighting that issue.

It may be worth it to let him look it over before you install it. He may catch it and fix it right up. How cool would that be????
I have a friend who has the Passon transmission in a Hemi Superbird clone. So far, he's had throwout bearing trouble and it's gotten stuck in gear sitting on an incline a few times. But so far, that's all. It's still a relatively new install so I'm waitin. LOL

If we put aside the number of gears and their ratios, which ones compare favorably or unfavorably for the following variables (or anything else that I didn't think of):

Group 1
Strength
Longevity/durability
Parts availability
Cost to purchase
Complexity of installation
Driveline energy loss
Noise
Group 2
Mass
Driving experience/shifter feel/clutch engagement
Unique problems??

The only M/T I have any experience with is the A833.
It hits all the bases in Group 1 favorably. As for Group 2

1) mass;
the A833 is heavy. But the good news is that the weight is almost all in the iron cases. But you can change that by stuffing the Gears into the F-body case and alloy tail, which is what I did for about 4 years. Eventually I installed a Passon alloy case, with a GVod alloy tail and a Passon alloy side-cover. That was in 2004. Then I quit worrying.
The GVod is about 23 pounds IIRC, and the rest is down to 85 IIRC, for a total now of 108..... verses 135 w/o the gvod in the prior configuration ..... IIRC. So now I have lightweight 4+1 speed, with splitting capabilities, and a nice Progressive set of ratios..
Typically I shift it 1-2-3-3od-4od and the ratios go like this;
3.09-1.92-1.40-1.09-.78od with progressive splits of
.62-.73-.78-.715

2) shifter feel/clutch engagement
Because the GVod was only available with the long-tail, I had to convert the Commando box to a long shaft.
The whole thing fits into the tunnel with what I consider modest adjustments; just a few hammer blows, and I dropped the tail about .25 inch, as an anti-rattle precaution, and installed an engine torque-strap for the same reason.
Then I had to deal with the shifter pads. One of the the front bolt-bosses had to be partly cut off for X-member clearance. It's alloy so zing, off it went. That left me with just the rear pad. I could have mounted the shifter on a fabbed plate and stuffed it into the factory opening, no problem. But as you may know, that location was a compromise for the bench seat and IMO, always sucked from day-one. Since I had installed buckets, I moved the opening back about seven inches, then raised the shifter up as high s I dared.
2b) I installed an old Mr.Gasket "Bang!" Shifter circa 1971, which has a very short straight handle, Ima guessing about 7 inches. I angled it so that it fell to hand. I mean, it's right there by my thigh; no more knuckles in the dash. Finally I fabbed up some stout tubular shift-rods using some cut-off factory ends with metal bushings, that I had laying around.
2c) By this time, I had already installed a CenterForce diaphragm clutch. But I really did not like the CF-II disc, so I stuck a factory 340 disc in there, from the Direct-Connection catalog. It turns out that these 340 discs are not strong enough for my engine, and keep either spitting out springs or fracturing the hub, or both, lol. I'm on the third or fourth one in about 80,000 miles. Seventeen minutes is my record for dropping that box.
2d) The 340 disc has a very nice feel to it, but to help it live, I shimmed the CF PP off the flywheel about .060.(a washer width). This allows a tiny bit of slip at low-rpm, and now, I can dump it and go. However, by about 3000rpm, the flyweights are locked up solid. My 340 discs are now lasting much longer.
2e) I slick-shifted Second and Third, so the heavy A833 gears now shift like lightning even at 7200.

3) Driving experience
with 3.55s in the back, the driving experience is, IMO, unparalleled. My 367 is pretty stout, and the trans always has the right gear at the ready. Looking at the Roadgears, the ratios look like this
10.97-6.82-4.97-3.88-.78od; with splits of
.62-.73-.78-.715, notice the progressively shorter splits, and the nice.715 drop into cruiser gear. There is always a "right" gear
3b) But Like I said, my 367 is stout. I run alloy heads , currently at 11/1 Scr, which gets me 180 psi on the compression tester. She has run more pressure under a different iteration. This really helps with the bottom-end. Actually, it has the strongest bottom-end by far, that I have ever run (SBMs only)..She is so much fun.

4) Unique problems??
As for the GVod
; she has a few caveats.
1) you must never back up with the unit engaged; (it breaks the guts somehow)
2) With the GV provided, electronic-shift-module; it shifts pretty slowly. (Without it, wired direct to battery voltage(thru a switch of course) it shifts just about instantly, at WOT, barking the tires on every split on the way to 93MPH in the Eighth, with BFG 325/50-15 DRs.)
3) the Unit can be in-shifted under full-power; but when out-shifting, the power has to be eased/cut. (With a clutch this is automatically solved.)
All of these have been easy to overcome.
As for the Commando guts; I have not been able to break them. I run 50/50 Dextron-II and 85/90EP
Other;
1) The Bang shifter is as awesome today as it was in 1971. With the tubular rods I have not missed a shift since 2004. With the other mods I made, she has NEVER needed to have the Neutral-gate adjusted, not once since installed in 2004.
2) Trying to adjust the Pedal free-play with the factory TO fork system, and TTI headers, was, initially, a PITA. But I soon solved that.
3) To install the GVod, I had to cut out the TTI crossover. At first I missed the bottom-end torque. But the Commando gearset, and a new tune, solved that and more besides.
Finally;
As much as I love this combo;
If I was starting out from scratch, with no transmission at all;
1) I would like the OD to be inside the main box, and NOT a planetary type.
2) I would like the same or extremely similar gear progression.
3) I would detune my engine with a solid FTH cam of at least one size smaller, and run 3.23s.
4) I would install a spreadbore carb and target hi 20s/low 30s steady-state fuel economy.
5) Aw who am I kidding; at my age (69),
I'd probably install an A500LU/a3500TC, and 3.23s. Lol. BadaBoom!

If you are buying a used 833, get the large front bearing retainer trans. It's easier to replace certain parts, versus the small retainer.

I'd recommend the opposite in an A Body unless you want to run a blowproof bell that will accept the large front bearing retainer, since only the O/D bell housing will.

It's easier to replace certain parts
Are you talking about ease of assembly? Then I agree with you; BUT in all honesty, stuffing the small bearing guts into the box is not that big a deal.
If you're talking about installing the back bearings , Ok I sorta agree with you.
But if you are talking about procuring parts; what am I missing? My small-bearing A833 hasn't needed new parts since I installed it in 2004.

Are you talking about ease of assembly? Then I agree with you; BUT in all honesty, stuffing the small bearing guts into the box is not that big a deal.
If you're talking about installing the back bearings , Ok I sorta agree with you.
But if you are talking about procuring parts; what am I missing? My small-bearing A833 hasn't needed new parts since I installed it in 2004.

That's only because you haven't been beating it hard enough. :poke:

My '69 Dart had the large retainer, beat the crap out of that car. Never had any issues with the large retainer, don't know if I understand what you mean. What I do know is, it was easy to replace the 2nd gear blocker ring that I broke a lot from power shifting, because I had the stock shifter. The small retainer is a pain for the same procedure, you have to pull the tail shaft housing and all to replace that same ring.
Good luck with your end choice, be happy with it!

For a streeter, the Second-gear shift comes too early.,
To me it's just eating up my gears and increasing my cruise rpm at the other end. The factory 340s had 2.66x3.55=9.44 which was enough starter to lay rubber all thru that gear.
The only reason, IMO, to run higher than 10, is if you want to drive real slow, but your engine won't idle real slow.
My engine will idle down to 550 in road gear of 10.97 (3.09 x 3.55), which gets me down to 4.0 mph; a brisk walking speed.. At 500 it gets to 3.66mph.
If you spend your gearage on 4.56s, then sure, you get 2.66x4.56=12.13, but then you live with the hiway buzzzzzzzzzzzz @65=3700. which even with a GVod is still 2900.

In town when tooling around, I like to shift at 2800. My engine sounds real good there, and she can easily handle the rpm drops. With my gears, the speeds related to this are; 20/33/45/63
If I had 4.56s (12.13 starter) the speeds would be;.......... 16/26/35/49
Look at the numbers. My Second gear is your Third. My Third gear is your Fourth.
In this configuration; my gears give up 4mph to 4.56s at the bottom, to gain 14 at the top.
Since my engine can smoke thru First gear starting at any speed, I do not see the point of running more starter than the 11/1 currently in it.

I tried 4.88, 4.30s, 4.10s, 3.91s, 5.13s even, and with the various boxes that have First gears of 3.09 and 2.66, and 2.47.. This was to get the Second gear I wanted together with a trap-gear that I wanted., trying to make my car BOTH a streeter and a good-traping quartermiler. Which I found out, that with my engine, was just about impossible to hit both marks. So I concentrated on making it a good streeter.
Please notice, I prefaced post#18 thus;

I am NOT trying to bust yur balls, not at all;
and only stated MY preferences, as it applies to a streeter.

Now, I can tell you one more thing;
I ran the A833od with the GVod being used as a Splitter, with 4.30s. The Road gears were;
13.29-10.36-7.18-5.60-4.30-3.35-2.38 hyup 7 ratios.
Notice the 10.36 and the 7.18. I was trying to use the 10.36 as my starter. The 7.18 was a good Second Gear,
The 13.29 was supposed to be my dragstrip starter. But the GVod would not hold 10.36 in gear for a full stop-light, so then it would slip on take off; not much, but for the cost of the unit, I wasn't gonna take any chances. I came to hate that 13.29 as a daily-Driver, so out the whole shebang came.
I now use the Commando, and still occasionally Split gears. The new Roadgears, GV in red, are;
10.97-8.56-6.82-5.32/4.97-3.88-3.55-2.77 the splits are;
----.78---.80---.78---.93---.78---.91---.78
While this shows up as 8 gears mathematically, two of the GV splits are too close to be usable , one behind the other. That makes it a sortof Six speed.
I use the First four ratios in The Eighth Mile to trap 93@6160 on the New cam that peaks around 5300. From 5.32 to 2.77 is .52
As a DD,I usually shift into od after Third and then jump to Fourth-over, like this
10.97-6.82-4.97-3.88-2.77 ; From 3.88 to 2.77 is .71
But sometimes I stretch out Second, then split, and then jump to Fourth-over like this
10.97-6.82-5.32-2.77 ; From 5.32 to 2.77 is .52
But if Ima showing off, then
10.97-8.56-6.82-2.77, cuz 6500 in 6.82 is already over 75mph. From 6.82 to 2.77 is .41

I love this combo.

If a lower than 11:1 first gear is eating up your gears you have some other issue. That makes no sense to me unless you think you have to be in second gear by 1500 RPM.

If a lower than 11:1 first gear is eating up your gears you have some other issue. That makes no sense to me unless you think you have to be in second gear by 1500 RPM.
Good call, not everyone thinks like me, so,
Eating up my gears means;
I only have four of them, so if I waste First gear with more Torque Multiplication than I need, then I gotta pay the Piper at the other end, with more cruise rpm than is necessary.
That is the whole reason that I have a 360, namely to run a smaller number rear gear and still have decent take-off torque. I couldda built a 340, I mean I had 4 or 5 of them kicking around. But the 20 extra cubes makes a heck of a difference when you want to run a rear gear of say 2.94s, for 65mph=2380rpm; which gives you a starter of just 7.82..
My car is geared the way it is, to make Second the gear of choice. Second is ~11.8mph per 1000rpm; so
3000 is 35.4mph and 6000 is 70.8mph.
First is used for two things, parading, and for getting into Second.
Second does all the rest .
Third is used mostly just to get to cruising speed and then I stuff it into Fourth.

To the guy who mentioned breaking blocker rings;
If your trans is doing that, on the street, then, IMO, it is not set up right. I have been banging A833s on the street, almost continuously since 1970, and have yet to break a blocker, any blocker. I wear out the ones on Second gear, but I don't break them.
I get that it happens on the old-style square-cut windows, I mean that's probably why they went to the newer style; But I never broke one of those either, and I probably have 250,000 miles on one of those, about the same on a different A833 with the newer style.
Then again, I rarely side-step the pedal.

-
Back