complete 383 build

-

wyomingduster

Reaction score
So I am at the point in project where it comes to rebuild the engine. The problem that comes to play is I have no idea where to start. A shop will be assembling it but I will have to supply the parts. Would anyone be willing to help me with the build? As far as the parts that will be needed, which brands are best, and sizes and all that. Everything from rockers to heads to pistons to a cam. I have a 69 383 block that has been bored .060 and the freeze plugs and the cam bearings have been installed. The engine will be going in a 73 duster. My goal is around the mid 500 rang for tq and HP. A little more or less is no biggy. I will be placing a big order in the next few days. Cost plays in no effect. I appreciate the help. This is my first project so I am new to this.

Mid 500hp will be a problem in a 383,
You will need custom pistons, CR is hard to get with over counter pistons. I would stroke it to the max 499ci

Diamond makes OTC slugs that come close to the deck, so you can get zero with decking. But honestly, if you're looking to make 500 out of an N/A 383, get ready to cam it up a good bit (probably solid) with some well prepped heads...I've done some reading on this, and you can do it, but you're looking at about 1.3hp/ci+

Have you entertained going stroker?

Do your goals include shooting for 10s in the 1/4?

Mid 500hp will be a problem in a 383,
You will need custom pistons, CR is hard to get with over counter pistons. I would stroke it to the max 499ci

Agreed. OP, Check out 440source stroker kits.

Is this going to be a strip only car, or will there be any street duty?

One ting to consider is street performcance you want drivable power. Big cubic inch allows this.

Strip only, big cubes are eaier to make big power. The stroker is a win win.

While some may dissagree, if I was going to sink money into an engine build that will yield 383ci i'd rather have those cubes with a small block and save the space and weight.

It will be a street car that will only be taken out on the weekends and have fun of driving through town with. Maybe a trip yo the strip every once in a while. I have consider stroking it. Its a possible idea that I would consider. What size of pistons and what kind. Domed? Flat? That's where I get confused. Thank you for all the help.

It will be a street car that will only be taken out on the weekends and have fun of driving through town with. Maybe a trip yo the strip every once in a while. I have consider stroking it. Its a possible idea that I would consider. What size of pistons and what kind. Domed? Flat? That's where I get confused. Thank you for all the help.

your gonna have a real hard time making 500 hp with a stock stroke 383 and keeping it streetable. is it possible? yes. but it will be extremely expensive and will be a pain in the *** to drive around town. a 400 hp 383 is easily done for an affordable amount of money and in an a-body is a handful in itself. if you going to do a complete build from scratch i wouldnt even consider going stock stroke now a days. the cost of parts has come so far down that it just makes sense. this is my low compression 383 making about 400-425 estimated hp. the car hauls *** and kills tires at will.

[ame]http://youtu.be/aLTuGFWyDuw[/ame]

http://youtu.be/ovfE81ZxH2k?t=2m33s

Domes vs. Flat: Piston choice will depend on your combustion chamber and deck height. Shoot for 9.5:1-10.5:1 with iron heads and 10.5:1-11.5:1 with aluminum heads.

Size of pistons: There are 2 schools of thought here. One is to only bore to the minimum size required to clean up the bore. The other is to take it to the max. I prefer the latter. both of my blocks are .060 over bored.

He's already bored the block 0.060"...

Keep in mind though, if he does go 4.25" stroker, flat tops will yield ~11.2:1 with an 84cc chamber. If it's a predominantly street driven car, he MAY have issues with the local pump premium, as a couple other members on this forum have discovered. When they're built nice and tight, they usually have fewer issues, but a couple tanks of sour gas will cause some grief.

If you're legitimately looking to make 550fwhp on the street, a stroker is definitely a better way to go with a 383 block.

Take this with a grain of salt; only my opinion, but if I were going that direction, I'd probably get the 440 Source 496 kit with the dished pistons...9.9:1 if config'd with 84cc heads will still yield a helluva bruiser. Think of it this way-a 500 cubic inch engine with good heads, essentially 10:1 compression. With a decent solid cam, single plane, and some 2" headers, that's easily a 550hp engine...might wanna call MRL :)

"might wanna call MRL :icon_smi:"

this is a very good suggestion. I have been speaking with him. I am in the process of starting my 470" short deck stroker. I was looking for 600hp on pump gas and it gets expensive very fast. Im going to make my expectations more realistic and shoot for 500hp and keep things simple. If you have ever been in a 500hp a-body you already know that it is more than enough power. in fact its down right dangerous to have on the street. my dads demon is running a 451 making 528hp at the rear tires and it is brutal. it is scary! to say the least.

Agreed on all counts.

Think about timeing as well. On today's gas you have to run an appropriate amount of base/toal timing but the curve is also essential.

Younggun2.0 can you give me an idea what your dad did with the 451 to get 528hp. That's exactly where I want to be with my Dart. Thanks

Thank you for the information. If I were to ask, if this was your build, what would it be? As in heads, positions, can, rockers and all? If someone would be kind enough to chime in.

Younggun2.0 can you give me an idea what your dad did with the 451 to get 528hp. That's exactly where I want to be with my Dart. Thanks

[ame=http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/johnnydart_photo/dads%20car/dadscar003.mp4]
th_dadscar003.jpg
[/ame]

400 block, muscle motors stroker kit. has 11:1 compression with the pistons proud of the block. (not sure exactly how far) .039 head gaskets and 84cc eddy heads with mild port work. solid lifter mech. cam .525 lift with 1.5 rockers. [email protected] duration installed at 108*. port matched m1 intake. proform 850 carb. hooker 2" fenderwell headers. shifts at 6000 and has 5 seasons on it.

Thank you for the information. If I were to ask, if this was your build, what would it be? As in heads, positions, can, rockers and all? If someone would be kind enough to chime in.

:happy1:

Actually kinda anxious to hear these myself.

400 block, muscle motors stroker kit. has 11:1 compression with the pistons proud of the block. (not sure exactly how far) .039 head gaskets and 84cc eddy heads with mild port work. solid lifter mech. cam .525 lift with 1.5 rockers. [email protected] duration installed at 108*. port matched m1 intake. proform 850 carb. hooker 2" fenderwell headers. shifts at 6000 and has 5 seasons on it.

Bad mutha-shut yo' mouth!

-
Back