Complete A/C rebuild Q

-

player1up

Reaction score
This might be quite a read but here goes.

I believe I have bought all of the components to rebuild the stock A/C in my 73 duster:
compressor rebuild kit - (not sure if i need it yet as the comp still spins)
Dryer.
Expansion valve.
O rings.
Retro-fit kit with correct fittings for year.

The system is completely empty.
I have done a conversion on a late 80's ford with good results but not so sure about this old girl.

The questions start here:
The expansion valve has a sensor that connects into one of the lines.
Should the sensor be soldered into the line? (when I took it out it looked like it just had grease on it or oil and just slid out no seal or anything. so how does it hold pressure?)
The dryer does have a pressure sensor on the front of it.

And the low pressure port is the one on the top of the comp or the one on the fat line?
I'm hoping that the guy before me just didn't know what he was doing.

I plan on replacing the parts myself and having a shop do the vacuum/pressure test and I'll recharge. (that's what i did on the ford)

High pressure is the smaller lines from compressor side marked 'D' (discharge) .
Low pressure is the larger lines to compressor side marked 'S' (suction). The capilary tube from expansion valve is nitrogen filled copper . Dont kink it ! That is a tappered seat type seal point (I think). Be sure to pull those cone shaped screens from the expansion valve and clean them if you not replacing the valve. Might be just one or 3 screens stacked together in there.

Thanks Redfish, I have a new expansion valve so no worries on little parts. :)
and yeah the copper lines seemed a little fragile.

The pic shows the old valve installed. little L shaped thing with 2 copper lines from it. the bottom one is the one in question. it has no threads or anything and when I pulled on it, it just came right out. That thing should be sealed right? otherwise the system cant hold pressure, right?

I had just planned on putting it together the way it came apart but it doesn't seem right.
Thanks

expansion valve.JPG

Yeah that one just has a rubber dust boot cover. You would have to saw the line in half to see this is a tube in a tube. The gas cant come out there.

-
Back