Complete rebuild on a 440, I need suggestions

-

Thrasher

YoungestMemberUALocal7
Reaction score
OK so a few years ago the old man brought home an old dodge van with a 440 smogger with the plans of building it up and putting it in a 70's mopar. Last week he finally got around to getting a hold of a 74 charger with a 318. NOW, I want to be able to take care of the lower end for him and probably the cam/rockers (probably the whole damn motor, LOL), as he isn't really a mechanic. I'm guessing all that's gonna be kept on this thing is the block and the exhaust manifolds, as it's an old van motor. I'm not looking for anything too crazy, shooting for a 450 ish hp setup with a relatively streetable cam. I'm looking for a crank/piston setup with around 10.5:1 - 11:1 compression. What would be a good crank/piston setup to start with? :toothy5:

All you need is a cam and no new hard parts but pistons and cam. NO need to go crazy for that level. I wouldnt keep that compresion goal in mind either. Run a flat top just below (.010-.020) deck, I'd go KB Hyper myself not knowing your Dad. Have the lower end mcahined well, and either do the heads up right or buy some new aluminum ones for more $$. With a mid size cam you'll be at or above your 450hp on pump fuel.

-
Back