Completely Original? Almost!

-

gyxffyg

Reaction score
When I bought my 68 Barracuda recently the seller stated repeatedly that the car was completely original, as far as the parts anyway, except for a new alternator and he did have the original alternator in the trunk. I have since replaced the cracked exhaust manifold. And as far as I can tell from my limited knowledge it may be almost completed original, except for him painting the valve covers and block, few areas of surface rust under the hood and a spot in the trunk. It has original paint, spare tire has never been on the ground, interior, engine has 42k original miles, and vinyl top. Does anyone have a completely original car from the 60's or 70's or how close to being original is it? I would expect they are very rare indeed.

I bought a 64 Plymouth Belvedere in 2003 that had 12,000 miles on it. Original everything.Even had a Kleenex box under the seat from the 60's.I did have to replace the exhaust muffler and tail pipe.Sold it 9 years later with 17,000 miles on it. Kept the Kleenex box.

What a find you got. I think buyers in the US are appreciating more and more the original or almost original cars.

In Feb 97, I bought a $500 69 Coronet 440 (model, not motor). Other than routine maint items, was all original 318/auto. Interior was near perfect. Paint was there, but very faded. Was my 17 yr superbee clone project. Sold it a year ago as a disassembled project that never got completed.... no pics saved anywhere.

I bought my car in 2005. It was a 1973 swinger that I bought from the orginial owner that was 97. The car had 30,000 miles on it with the good old slant six. Orginial paint and interior and still had the old tires with the white strip around them. If anything was changed at all it was too small for me to notice except for the alternator and battery.

P1010036.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I added a CD player when i first got the car but other then that I haven't touched the interior.

I thought about leaving it that way but the 73 isn't a really popular year and I would rather go fast so now it's got a 360/727 but still has the orginial paint and interior. Oh yes and the orginial spare tire is still in the trunk!

I couldn't help but do wheels and tires(couldn't live with 14'' whitewalls and wheel covers)

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 339
My 15,300 mile 1981 Imperial

Still has the original paint, interior and tires

Mom ordered it new Oct. 1980 and took delivery Oct 21 1980

In March of 1988 with 9,826 miles the fuel injection was removed due to run issues chrysler had and they had a kit to convert them to carburetor

I kept telling mom that I didn't want a lot of miles on it when I inherited it. Have had it in my possession since about 1990 when I had a 3 car garage and they only had a 2 so dads car had to sit outside.

Mom always had another car to drive, this one was fair weather only, not to smoke in it, park close at store so she said THE CAR IS TOO DAMN GOOD FOR ME, plus she loved her 1979 TC3

Was $19,700 in Oct 1980 one of the most expensive cars on the road.

View attachment image.jpg

NEVER IN THE SNOW, dad thinks it was driven in the rain 4 times

In 1992 I had a 71 torino that had it's original belts and hoses on it, the original spare tire, and had never had the timing set.

My 73 Satellite had 54,000 original miles in 2013.

Only mods were-

1 repaint in original color
Keystones
Aftermarket sway bars
Dual exhaust
R134a conversion
23 channel CB
Package tray brake light.

Not any more.

I got mine a couple months ago from a guy that inherited it from his Dad and Mom in 2000. It does have new tires,battery, radiator core only he kept the frame, and exhaust manifold which I just did. It has original interior, paint, spare tire and drive train and I guess everything else.

Attachments

• 20150602_110204.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 20150602_110213.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 20150602_110329.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 20150602_110333.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 20150602_110507.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 20150602_110526.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 20150602_110104.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 296
I got mine a couple months ago from a guy that inherited it from his Dad and Mom in 2000. It does have new tires,battery, radiator core only he kept the frame, and exhaust manifold which I just did. It has original interior, paint, spare tire and drive train and I guess everything else.

Nice looking barracuda.

Kind of fond of the knotch backs, my 1st car was a 67 Barracuda coupe, light blue black vinyl top dark blue interior

Mine didn't look that good when I got it in 1974

Beautiful car, and really nice color combination. They are only original once. Great find

great find. true survivors are in fact very rare, they were rare 20 years ago , so much more as time goes on. most survivors found these days are not the " musclecar" ie 383 runners, hi po anything, as they were generally rode hard and put up wet, wrecked, etc.
much more likel;y to find a 318 something or slant six granny car???
but none the less, all survivors are very cool!!!!

I have 2 brothers that are automotive "Hoarders" That have cars they never drive.These are just some of them. One a 70 Chevelle 454 450 Hp 4 speed with 1600 miles.The other has a 73 Corvette with 25,000 a 92 Corvette with 9,000 miles and a 87 Buick T type Regal that was spec out with all the Grand National options with about 6,000 miles.All bought new.What a waste in my books.All of these haven't seen the light of day in almost 20 to 40 years. Both are in there 60's. I don't know what they are waiting for....

When I bought my 68 Barracuda recently the seller stated repeatedly that the car was completely original, as far as the parts anyway, except for a new alternator and he did have the original alternator in the trunk. I have since replaced the cracked exhaust manifold. And as far as I can tell from my limited knowledge it may be almost completed original, except for him painting the valve covers and block, few areas of surface rust under the hood and a spot in the trunk. It has original paint, spare tire has never been on the ground, interior, engine has 42k original miles, and vinyl top. Does anyone have a completely original car from the 60's or 70's or how close to being original is it? I would expect they are very rare indeed.

And to those who do have these rare gems, take as many pictures of them as you can to document how they were originally made. It would be a shame not to have some records for others interested in returning their cars back to original factory condition.

I have an original 21,742 mile Superbird that my dad bought from the original owner back in 81. The only things not original are the valve covers, distributor, and rims. But those can be easily brought back to stock.

How many of us would love to have an original low miles Superbird? I think I can speak for everybody here....We all would.

My cousin came into town for my Son's wedding this weekend and he is a lifelong master mechanic. Teaching me a lot about this old Mopar. We have the carb torn down to basic parts right now rebuilding it. It is truly a pleasure to watch this guy work on a car. Yesterday we pulled the distributor out, replaced the points and condenser, set the timing. And then identified the carb. problem. Should be running top notch when done.

Good to hear that you have someone knowledgeable to help you.

gyxffyg. If I could have bought only one car,it would have been a Barracuda notch back.
For some reason I never found one when looking for the next project.You got a real gem there. !!

My buddies dad has a '69 hemi Super Bee with 17,000. It has different rear tires and wheels as it was undrivable with the originals, which are sitting next to the car against the garage wall, still brand new. As far as I can tell my Dart has maybe new valve cover gaskets, and a repaint. Except for some wear items, it is pretty much unmolested...so far.

-
Back