Compression test results

-
Hmmm after reading through the link you shared it send like the plugs are too cold, not enough timing, & rich. . Also the rich condition might not be 100% accurate because I was tooling around low rpm for some time & idling at stop lights

Hmmm after reading through the link you shared it send like the plugs are too cold, not enough timing, & rich. . Also the rich condition might not be 100% accurate because I was tooling around low rpm for some time & idling at stop lights
Tuning for the drag strip and tuning for thr the street are two different scenarios.
If this is a street application you need to tune it for the way you would normally drive the car and if that includes slow speed stop n go driving, so be it.
It it is a race car you tune for WOT.

From what I can tell total timing looks to be high 30s like 37ish , has the two silver springs and seems to come in slow. Initial timing looks like it's in the high teens
With out knowing alot of your engine stats I would say the total may be slightly high but that aint causing your issue. I would back it down to 34* total, pretty common. Im still thinking a fuel related problem, keep digg'n.
My 340 would flutter and skip with the stock fuel pump. An Edelbrock hi volume pump cured that.

With out knowing alot of your engine stats I would say the total may be slightly high but that aint causing your issue. I would back it down to 34* total, pretty common. Im still thinking a fuel related problem, keep digg'n.
My 340 would flutter and skip with the stock fuel pump. An Edelbrock hi volume pump cured that.
Brand new carb, fuel lines, pump, thing feels super responsive

Brand new carb, fuel lines, pump, thing feels super responsive
Still need to see all the spark plugs.
Your past posts that show a couple of plugs indicates a fuel delivery issue/s.
Very rich, if you dont correct this your problems will still exsist.
The correct plug heat range will help but it will not correct the air fuel ratio.

Last edited:
Still need to see all the spark plugs.
Your past posts that show a couple of plugs indicates a fuel delivery issue/s.
Very rich, if you dont correct this your problems will still exsist.
The correct plug heat range will help but it will not correct the air fuel ratio.
Hmmm I could jet down but I'm thinking they are fouling because they are so cold

NGK 5 heat range plugs are what you need. Fit them first. The hotter running 5's will help burn off some of the deposits, hopefully give you a clean running plug.

Hmmm I could jet down but I'm thinking they are fouling because they are so cold
The plugs tell me that its is to rich.
Try a hotter plug it will help, but I dont think that alone will solve your fouled plugs.
I have had very good prerformance fro Autolite 63 plugs in my warmed up 340.

Has any of your thinking been right yet? I'm not bein a smartass, I'm asking a serious question. The heat range of plugs can make a difference but nowhere near clearing up what you have. Try the hotter plug. I guess it's better learning the hard way anyway.

Has any of your thinking been right yet? I'm not bein a smartass, I'm asking a serious question. The heat range of plugs can make a difference but nowhere near clearing up what you have. Try the hotter plug. I guess it's better learning the hard way anyway.
No offense taken. . It's difficult trying to figure out a combo with unknown parts but too answer your question yes. Car is noticeably snappier with new wire / plugs & carb. Fuel system issues mostly corrected, no more oil leaks. .just have to get it dialed in

The plugs tell me that its is to rich.
Try a hotter plug it will help, but I dont think that alone will solve your fouled plugs.
I have had very good prerformance fro Autolite 63 plugs in my warmed up 340.
Despite what holley tech said I think 9psi at carb is too high, going to put a regulator on it

No offense taken. . It's difficult trying to figure out a combo with unknown parts but too answer your question yes. Car is noticeably snappier with new wire / plugs & carb. Fuel system issues mostly corrected, no more oil leaks. .just have to get it dialed in
What makes it even more difficult is this democrat slobberin, bunny hugger lovin, useless as tits on a boarhog alcohol laced gasoline. Plugs are a lot harder to read.

Despite what holley tech said I think 9psi at carb is too high, going to put a regulator on it

If a Holley tech actually told you 9 pounds of fuel pressure is ok, that only reinforces exactly what I’ve been saying about those jack off’s for years.

I would no sooner call them for teach advice than I would call...I’ll leave it right here for you to fill in the blanks. Screw Holley.

7 pounds is MAX and 6 is better. I use bottom feed needles and seats so I can run 4-4.5 pounds of fuel pressure.

Less fuel pressure equals more pump flow (as pressure rises flow goes down) and less pressure means less bubbles in the fuel. And yes, it matters.

If a Holley tech actually told you 9 pounds of fuel pressure is ok, that only reinforces exactly what I’ve been saying about those jack off’s for years.

I would no sooner call them for teach advice than I would call...I’ll leave it right here for you to fill in the blanks. Screw Holley.

7 pounds is MAX and 6 is better. I use bottom feed needles and seats so I can run 4-4.5 pounds of fuel pressure.

Less fuel pressure equals more pump flow (as pressure rises flow goes down) and less pressure means less bubbles in the fuel. And yes, it matters.
Yeah, it seems to be hit or miss with the tech help. Some techs in the past have been very knowledgeable & helpful, others terrible. . .I ran my charger at 6 psi, this tech said anything under 10 is fine as long as the fuel bowl are set properly & no stumble at idle. . . New plugs / reg ordered

Finally forward progress lol. Took the car out for a long ride and some spirited runs, the plugs look much better
20220326_112737.jpg
20220326_112748.jpg
20220326_113249.jpg

If that’s on pump gas it’s rich and the timing is slow. And the plug looks cold, but slow timing takes heat out of the plug.

If that’s on pump gas it’s rich and the timing is slow. And the plug looks cold, but slow timing takes heat out of the plug.
Yup, I think the timing is coming in way too late. Has both heavy springs in it, gonna throw the light on it later

-
Back