Compressor Mounting Bracket

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay I have a 65 Barracuda with a Slant Six. I bought a compressor with mounting bracket but I seem to be having some issues.

Is this the right bracket? I was able to line up the first two of the holes to my water pump second and third bolts from the heater hose but the swinging third mount would not line up to anything. The swinging third bolt appears to fit nicely on the front mount of the boxed support but it is not long enough.

Also the rear support did not line up anywhere. The rear support that I have is designed to attach to the rear and head down to a boxed support below the compressor. It gets close but not close enough.

IMG_20120715_221720.jpg

IMG_20120715_221726.jpg

Are you actually gonna put that POS compressor on your car?

I am trying to keep it looking mostly original. I realize it isn't he greatest compressor but it does do the job. Plus I don't have another 250-300 to move to a sanden style and bracket.

tension pulley maybe? Sorry, only worked with the V8 AC system

We worked on this before. Take a look at the last three auctions on the following ebay link. This will show you that there were different support brackets for different years on the /6 engine.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mopar+6+compressor&_sacat=0

If you ever want to get something mounted up right for your car and not have a bunch of problems get a set of brackets that go to your car. Surely there are members here that have the barckets for your exact car with all the /6s that are laying around. More of them are being tossed in the junk everyday. I bet your brackets are laying around in some members yard.

Chryslerkid is talking about pulling a /6 drive train because he is going to a V8. I tried to figure out what year car he has but I couldn't locate it. Also I have no idea if his is even an A/C car but it might be worth a pm to check since it is a running/driving car today.

Oklacarcollecto I appreciate the information.

I found a couple of pictures of the rear support mounting to the drivers side motor mount. Does it mount there or the boxed section towards the front of the engine? I am not sure what to call it because it appears to have no real purpose.

Oklacarcollecto I appreciate the information.

I found a couple of pictures of the rear support mounting to the drivers side motor mount. Does it mount there or the boxed section towards the front of the engine? I am not sure what to call it because it appears to have no real purpose.

I don't have one of these cars to look at so that is why I can't be more help. If you had some good pictures of a 65 a body with the complete original ac set up it would help you a lot. I know you are grasping at straws and when I am in that position I just want to pull my hair out.

I did look up the clutch pulley assembly that is on your compressor. It looks like a 68 to 73 by comparing photos only.

Attachments

• !B6CQJiQCWk~$(KGrHqN,!gsEy14gEk21BMv6iis6zQ~~_1.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 253
The clutch pulley appears to line up with a second groove on the water pump. I don't have a second groove on my water pump though. I need to put it back so I can take some pictures and get some better ideas as to whats going on.

The clutch pulley appears to line up with a second groove on the water pump. I don't have a second groove on my water pump though. I need to put it back so I can take some pictures and get some better ideas as to whats going on.

The bracket and compressor you have would be off a power steering car and it would have an adjuster pully. You can see the adjustment slot in the picture in bracket you have. It wouldn't matter if it isn't needed for your application. I have to be up in just over 5 hours so I am going to bed now. TTYL.

Thank you that is the information I needed. I don't know why but I was assuming it would run off the alternator/water pump. As for the rear support I may just make one it is not a terribly complicated support bracket.

Well I am pretty happy with myself I got the compressor placed and I believe it is correct. I took a few pictures can anyone confirm if this looks right?

This is of the rear support bar.
IMG_20120718_235900.jpg

This is the pulley line up. It appears to line up with a second groove on the water pump.
IMG_20120718_235913.jpg

ok. so this is the tensioner attached to the compressor bracket and im not sure if you can see or not but the crank pulley has a smaller groove in the rear (towards the crank) the water pump pulley is only a single groove. the belt goes from the compressor to the tensioner to the crank and around again. it comes close but it doesnt come in contact with the water pump neck or the timing tab. it is a wider belt. 1/2" if i remember right. is your car power steering? if so im still trying to figure out how it mounts without interfering with the a/c belt. its one confusing system but once you have all the right parts its pretty cool. pardon the pun. and finally the rear mount you have is correct. they are fit and notched so they only go on one way and bolt up.

Attachments

• 2012-05-10_15-09-31_57.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 2012-05-10_15-10-17_450.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 243
-
Back