Computer help needed due to lightening strike

-

DA69RT GT

South Florida Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had a bad storm last week in So Fla and lightening hit the pole outside our house zapping both the electric and telephone line.
The transformer box is charred black but was repaired and power restored after 12hrs... but the telephone line needed to be replaced from the pole to the house. AND it appeared to have run thru and zapped everything that was in its path. Our security system box was fried, computer modem fried, and wireless router fried. Replaced all and everything back to "normal" except for home computer connection.

It seems the Ethernet connection in back of computer wont accept a signal?
I plugged the cable into my laptops and it works fine, but when I plug it into the back of the home computer.... nothing.

The computer works fine and everything seems intact as far as programs/docs- but it just wont connect to the internet. Ive tried to go in and disable/enable and repair the connection, but nothing.

Seeing that the computer works fine Im assuming the motherboard is ok... is there a part that can be replaced (that may have shorted out) to accept the Ethernet connection?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 153
is there a part that can be replaced (that may have shorted out) to accept the Ethernet connection?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
yep- add a basic network card. cheap and easy.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if something in the mobo got killed...

Thanks for your reply.
So if I open up the back- its accessible and just slides out?

Depends on the computer. Many nowadays are built into the motherboard. You'll have to go into "control panel" or whatever Microshi$ calls it nowadays and disable it, then install your new one. Depending on your computer and how "generic" it is, an off the shelf ethernet card may work, or you can get them that plug into an USB port as well.

If you are using in-house cabling, move the computer into the room where the cable modem is, and use a known good jumper to try it, also try a different output port on whatever you are using to distribute (modem or router) different ethernet ports to the various computers.

You might also want to install surge protectors between the AC outlet and any of your electronics (ie; TV, computer, and stereo system). You can get ones that will replace the device that gets fried up a certain amount, if the surge protector doesn't do it's job. Good luck.

Depends on the computer. Many nowadays are built into the motherboard. You'll have to go into "control panel" or whatever Microshi$ calls it nowadays and disable it, then install your new one. Depending on your computer and how "generic" it is, an off the shelf ethernet card may work, or you can get them that plug into an USB port as well.

Actually, if you're running XP or Windows 7 (and even the waaaay old Windows 2000), no need to disable the existing network connection. These OSes are smart enough to detect that the old NIC is no longer connected and will sense that the new one is active.

If you're running Vista by any chance, I recommend getting a whole new machine with Windows 7. Vista blows!

If you have an open USB port you can get one like this:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/AE/en/products/USB200M

Or if you PM me i have one i will send you free :)

I'm in Florida as you are and will put it in the mail Monday and you will have it Tuesday....

Will

Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna run to Office Depot and get a USB network adaptor and see if it solves the problem.
Appreciate the offer Will- that was more than generous of you. And just when I was losing faith in my fellow Floridians...

I do have surge protectors on all of my electrical components (thank God) but dont know of anything for the phone lines.

I have Windows xp lilcuda but my wife has Vista.... I agree with you on the Vista thing but I havent really had any remarkable issues with xp.

I'm a network admin, and I see way more lightning damage to equipment travelling through the phone and network lines. The strike doesn't need to be on the wire, either. I've seen it several times where the strike was on a tree or building, and the pulse was powerful enough to get into the low voltage lines nearby and do some major damage.

In 2005, we had a strike on a pine tree near our building, and it did about $25,000 worth of damage to our network, phone system, computers and HVAC system. That was with the phone system being under maintenance contract. It would have been an easy $20,000 more if it hadn't.

Getting the USB adapter is a good idea. But don't be surprised if new problems start cropping up on that system. I would recommend that you back up anything important to you. It's a good idea whether you have problems or not.

Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna run to Office Depot and get a USB network adaptor and see if it solves the problem.
Appreciate the offer Will- that was more than generous of you. And just when I was losing faith in my fellow Floridians...

I do have surge protectors on all of my electrical components (thank God) but dont know of anything for the phone lines.

I have Windows xp lilcuda but my wife has Vista.... I agree with you on the Vista thing but I havent really had any remarkable issues with xp.

There are surge protectors with phone line jacks.

If a protector does not have a short connection to earth, then it does not do nor claims protection. All phone lines already have the best protector installed for free by your telco. Surges seek earth ground. A path to earth from the telephone pole was down (now damage) wires, into the 'whole house' protector, and then to earth.

You should inspect that telco installed protector (or the telco installers replaced it).

To have damage means a surge must have both an incoming path and a separate outgoing path to earth. Best path through computer modem and router would be incoming on AC mains. Then outgoing to earth via interior phone lines to that 'whole house' protector.

If both paths do not exist, then no damage. For example, the surge was (beyond doubt) incoming to the computer. But what was the outgoing path? If via the ethernet port, that only that part is damaged. Computers already have some of the best protection internally. But sometimes a protector too close to a computer and too far from earth ground can compromise (bypass) that protection.

Surge does not destroy everything. It only damages a part that was in that incoming to outgoing path. Most all surge damaged electronics have very few or only one damaged part.

Apparently secondary protection was missing (ie earthed a 'whole house' protector from any of more responsible companies). And your primary protection system was missing. All others could learn from your experience. Surges went searching for earth inside your house if this critical connection was missing. A picture of what to inspect:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html

I'm a network admin, and I see way more lightning damage to equipment travelling through the phone and network lines. The strike doesn't need to be on the wire, either. I've seen it several times where the strike was on a tree or building, and the pulse was powerful enough to get into the low voltage lines nearby and do some major damage.

In 2005, we had a strike on a pine tree near our building, and it did about $25,000 worth of damage to our network, phone system, computers and HVAC system. That was with the phone system being under maintenance contract. It would have been an easy $20,000 more if it hadn't.

Getting the USB adapter is a good idea. But don't be surprised if new problems start cropping up on that system. I would recommend that you back up anything important to you. It's a good idea whether you have problems or not.

Its "funny" you say that... because just yesterday we noticed that part of our huge oak tree on the side of the house where the lightening strike was has a large strip of bark missing! Ill try to get a pic tomrrw.
Never noticed it until I saw a bunch on bark in the grass and couldnt figure out where it came from. Looked above my boat tarp/cover and just adjacent from where the phone line enters house is where tree got hit. I guess its not a coincidence...

The quality of your protection depends upon how much you are willing to spend upon the surge protection devices. There is no way around that.

If you have a PC, you can open the case and determine the model/manufacturer of the motherboard. From there, you can look up the motherboard specifications and what kind of card slots are available to you. Once you know what kind of motherboard you have and the type of slot for additional cards, you can easily order or pick up an ethernet card. Your ethernet chip(s) on the motherboard are definitely toasted by the surge. You are very lucky that your entire motherboard was not scorched!

Regarding Vista, you can buy an upgrade to go to Windows 7. This process is easy and all of your settings are preserved. There is no need for complete re-formatting of the hard drive and a fresh installation of the operating system unless you want to do so. You will be prompted to download and install any number of drivers for items such as a mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc. before Windows 7 will successfully install.

The Vista to 7 upgrade is the first time Microserf has not forced re-formatting. Sadly, you cannot do this with XP. XP is a decent system that many corporations still run. Changeovers from XP to 7 require re-formatting.

Should you decide to do the upgrade from Vista to 7, please back up any critical files either on DVD or with an inexpensive external hard drive.

Good luck!

At work, we have 5 85ft. long bays for working on our trucks. At each side of the doors there are 6 inch steel poles to protect the building.

7 years ago, during 1 of the famous Florida storms, one of the poles took a direct hit. Looked like 20 plasma cutters went to work on it.
Took out our phone and electrical systems as well as our computers.
We were running the company on cell phones and laptops out of an RV for almost 2 weeks.

The quality of your protection depends upon how much you are willing to spend upon the surge protection devices. There is no way around that.
Some of the most expensive protectors do nothing. And do not claim protection. Take a $4 power strip. Add some ten part protector parts. Sell it for $40 to only protect one appliance.

Monster has a long history of identifying a scam. Then selling equivalent products for even $150. A similar product sells in supermarkets for $7.

How does a protector without earthing make hundreds of thousands of joules disappear? It doesn't. It doesn't even claim protection. With obscene profits, it makes subjective protection claims. However, if anyone knows better, then manufacturer specs that define that protection can be provided.

Either hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate harmlessly outside a building (because an effective protector connects short to earth). Or a surge goes hunting for earth destructively via appliances. The only solution used in any facility that can never have damage is a low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to earth. From every incoming wire to earth via a conductor or a protector. Money is never wasted on protectors that do not have that dedicated wire that connect to earth.

For over 100 years, protection from even direct lightning strikes has always been about where energy dissipates. For over 100 years, protection has always been about the earthing. Higher price often indicates inferior protection. And does not even claim protection in manufacturer specs. The word scam applies. An effective 'whole house' protector from more responsible companies costs about $1 per appliance so that even direct lightning strikes do not damage the protector. Protection is always about a connection to earth.

If you have an open USB port you can get one like this:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/AE/en/products/USB200M

Or if you PM me i have one i will send you free :)

I'm in Florida as you are and will put it in the mail Monday and you will have it Tuesday....

Will

Go figure... the brainiacs @ Office Depot didnt even know it existed (at least the 2 guys I spoke to) and didnt have it! Amazing... :banghead:
...but Walmart does??? You have got to be kidding me.
I may take you up on your offer Will.

Yep... lightning ran thru the phone into my computer and had to get a new basic network card (I guess that is what its called). It is right where Ethernet is connected. The computer guy could push on the little brass terminals and it would connect. He would let go and I would loose connection. My card was made by D-link if that helps any. When a bad storm comes rolling in I unhook the phone and power.

-
Back