Computer question, iMac?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Today I dragged home my very first Mac to play with and get my feet wet. This is an "all in one" IMac, and Steve must not'ha been very proud o' these, because I finally noticed the model no and other stuff in teeny tiny print on the BOTTOM of the support stand

Says Model A1208TM "I think."

Mac17" / 2.0GHZ / 1 GB / 160 GB / SD / BT / AP "I think."

It runs OS-X didn't pay 'tention to what version

So the obvious

It's 17" screen, 2 Ghz (dual core) processor

1 Gb ram (software says 1.5)

160Gb would be hard drive, I can't confirm this

Don't know what the last means "SD / BT / AP"

Now a 2Ghz dual core, built in 2006, and over a gig of ram, a guy would THINK the stupid thing would "get on the internet." It's got Airport, and connects, and logs into my router.

But it barely loads (or not) web pages, and will NOT play YouTube videos. Something wrong with the wireless card?

No, LOL, don' 'xpect much. I paid about 60 bucks for the thing.

Messed with Apple a long time ago, and not very long. Just needed some of the info it had stored, then used a crack to convert over, once done, off it went. In other words, I ain't worth diddly on this. LOL
And no smart aleck comments please..... LOL

LOL. I bought it as a learning tool, "maybe," and thought I'd try Linux on the thing, too.

I got no useful answer here, but a 9 year old anything (as far as computers) should not be used to determine much about the model you're comparing. I'm a PC user myself. But I can't stand what they've done in the last couple years. My iPad is pretty much all I use any more unless I need to run a program.

Today I dragged home my very first Mac to play with and get my feet wet. This is an "all in one" IMac, and Steve must not'ha been very proud o' these, because I finally noticed the model no and other stuff in teeny tiny print on the BOTTOM of the support stand

Says Model A1208TM "I think."

Mac17" / 2.0GHZ / 1 GB / 160 GB / SD / BT / AP "I think."

It runs OS-X didn't pay 'tention to what version

So the obvious

It's 17" screen, 2 Ghz (dual core) processor

1 Gb ram (software says 1.5)

160Gb would be hard drive, I can't confirm this

Don't know what the last means "SD / BT / AP"

Now a 2Ghz dual core, built in 2006, and over a gig of ram, a guy would THINK the stupid thing would "get on the internet." It's got Airport, and connects, and logs into my router.

But it barely loads (or not) web pages, and will NOT play YouTube videos. Something wrong with the wireless card?

No, LOL, don' 'xpect much. I paid about 60 bucks for the thing.

SD would probably indicate an SD memory card reader, for cards like you would find in digital cameras and the like. BT indicates that it has Bluetooth connectivity. I'm not sure about AP, unless that's for the AirPort wifi card.

As far as your websites loading slow, I'm assuming you are using Safari to surf the web? If so, try emptying the cache. Press "Command + Option + E" on the keyboard. Then quit and relaunch Safari to test. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

I think SD -> SuperDrive (CD and DVD) and BT -> Bluetooth (for Bluetooth accessories like keyboards, mice, etc.) - AP...I'm guessing that's AirPort (Apple Wi-Fi stuff)

Remember, that's probably 802.11a or b, so low bandwidth Wi-Fi
Also, are you using Safari to try to run youtube? Sometimes, I seem to have better luck running videos on Firefox than in Safari

I think SD -> SuperDrive (CD and DVD) and BT -> Bluetooth (for Bluetooth accessories like keyboards, mice, etc.) - AP...I'm guessing that's AirPort (Apple Wi-Fi stuff)

Remember, that's probably 802.11a or b, so low bandwidth Wi-Fi
Also, are you using Safari to try to run youtube? Sometimes, I seem to have better luck running videos on Firefox than in Safari

You're right, SD probably is for the SuperDrive. It's been a long time since I've played with one of these.

As far as the wifi, it has the Standard AirPort for the time, which supported 802.11 a/b/g/n, so he should be okay with that.

If you want to check all of the stats, check here.

Thanks you guys. Later, I'm going to try and boot it with a live Linux dongle, and see what that does. Yes, Safari. I know nothing about Mac, and just want to learn a bit about 'em.

SD usually stands for "Secure Digital" memory cards, and SMD or "Super Multi Drive" is usually CD/CDR/CDRW/DVD/DVDR/DVDRW.
1 gig of RAM aint much anymore, but you knew that already. :D

160 usually denotes HD size as you guessed.

As already mentioned, it could very well be the browser causing the slow loading of pages, or it could be the OS. (or network software/hardware like you said)

You could use a command prompt (called Terminal in Mac) and see what the ping returns say, but it still won't tell you a lot. (especially if it's a browser problem.)
Try a direct to modem hard wire and see what it does.

SD usually stands for "Secure Digital" memory cards, and SMD or "Super Multi Drive" is usually CD/CDR/CDRW/DVD/DVDR/DVDRW.
1 gig of RAM aint much anymore, but you knew that already. :D

160 usually denotes HD size as you guessed.

As already mentioned, it could very well be the browser causing the slow loading of pages, or it could be the OS. (or network software/hardware like you said)

You could use a command prompt (called Terminal in Mac) and see what the ping returns say, but it still won't tell you a lot. (especially if it's a browser problem.)
Try a direct to modem hard wire and see what it does.

I has an ethernet port I was going to try that

It's a T7200 Core 2 Duo CPU. It runs ATI X1600 graphics. It has 1GB of memory and an older wireless design, probably G at best.

There are probably ways to speed things up with it, but nothing worth throwing money at. If you want a Mac to play with that has some speed, look for something about 2010 build, a Core i3 iMac, it would have a Radeon HD4670 video card. Of course it'll cost a lot more, figure $350-$400.

$60 for that machine is an OK deal, they seem to sell mostly in the $100-$150 range these days.

The thing is, I've put "less than this" on the internet, something with a single core, and maybe, .5G of ram. I may try an aftermarket USB wireless stick. Haven't had time to play today. this afternoon I pulled the roof off of the Coleman tent project...........

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970831927

Roof has a leak, I plan on re-doing the center seam and "Grizzly" coating the top, which in this case is 'luminum.

Roof has a leak, I plan on re-doing the center seam and "Grizzly" coating the top, which in this case is 'luminum.

Have you considered that white elastomeric coating like they use for RV's?
Cool Coat I think it's called.
That is what it is made for, it works really well and looks nice.

Have you considered that white elastomeric coating like they use for RV's?
Cool Coat I think it's called.
That is what it is made for, it works really well and looks nice.

That is one that's in the mix. I haven't figured yet what to do. "There's something" on it. I took it off with neighbor's help last night and pressure washed it. I thought it was "baked on" dirt. It's brown--"ish", and may be partly dirt, but it won't come off!!!

That is one that's in the mix. I haven't figured yet what to do. "There's something" on it. I took it off with neighbor's help last night and pressure washed it. I thought it was "baked on" dirt. It's brown--"ish", and may be partly dirt, but it won't come off!!!

Well, it may not be your first choice but the elastomeric can go right over anything else as long as it's not literally loose dirt.

Well, it may not be your first choice but the elastomeric can go right over anything else as long as it's not literally loose dirt.

Good to know. Now that I pressure washed it, I discovered "part" of what was the leak. Some sort of filler had been applied OVER SEVERAL KNIFE WOUNDS in the top!!

"Some kid?" with a knife?

-
Back