condensor looking thing on back of guage cluster

-

csx452

Reaction score
I pulled the guage cluster out of the dash of my 68 Dart GT to replace some burnt out bulbs. It was a PITA job. There is a thing on the back of the cluster that looks like a condensor. It has one wire coming out of it but no connector on it. What does this do and what does it connect to. I want to repair this before I put the cluster back in the dash. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

I "think" its a voltage regualtor for the gauges.....I know alot of guys on here can tell you for sure....and also there is a mod for this aswell that helps stabilize the voltage.

I think its what keeps your needles from bouncing all over the place or something...but again i am not positive

are you talking about the instrument cluster voltage regulator? if so, it drops the voltage down to 5 volts or so for your instrument cluster. http://www.demonivr.com/

Thats what i was talking about.

but I figured id let others chime in because I was not 100% on what he was talking about and if what I was thinking was right or not

Since he said it has one wire coming out of it must be the filter condenser. The voltage regulator doesn't have any wires coming out of it. Just a place to plug a plug onto it.

csx452 it sounds like the plug on the end is missing. I know it has a place to plug it onto the pc board but I'm not sure where to tell you. I had my dash apart about a year ago and remember there was a place to plug it in but too much water under the bridge since then to remember. Sorry I cant help more. Hopefully somebody will post a picture that shows. Or a page from the factory serv. manual might help.

Since he said it has one wire coming out of it must be the filter condenser. The voltage regulator doesn't have any wires coming out of it. Just a place to plug a plug onto it.

csx452 it sounds like the plug on the end is missing. I know it has a place to plug it onto the pc board but I'm not sure where to tell you. I had my dash apart about a year ago and remember there was a place to plug it in but too much water under the bridge since then to remember. Sorry I cant help more. Hopefully somebody will post a picture that shows. Or a page from the factory serv. manual might help.

That's what I'm talking about. I know it's not the voltage regulator.

One of the 3 slots feeds 12 volts to the limiter. That slot is a tad larger than the other 2 so terminal from the noise capasitor can fit in also. there should be a paper like heat shield between the limiter can and that wire terminal.

I ordered a factory service manual. There are so many electrical problems in this car that I really need electrical diagrams to help me figure them out. I'm sure the noise filter will be pictured on the cluster. Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate your help.
Frank

-
Back