Confirm what I'm about to do is right ...

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Gas filler tube on my Swinger goes through the body from outside with foam gasket behind the flanged end, then screwed to the body - correct ?. The reason I'm asking - when installed this way, the gas cap I bought which is supposed to fit Swingers - stands a half inch off the fender, it'd fit right if the flange for the tube were behind the sheet metal - I nust have the wrong cap (had it painted and everything - sucks)

I believe the filler tube should go on the inside. I know that is the way it was on my 66 Dart up till I put the flip gas cap on, then i had to put it in from the out side for the spacing I needed for it.

tube meets the body from the inside with gasket between.

I'm kinda embarrassed I don't recall (it's only been three years !) I've got a 70 down the street I can look at tomorrow - i may hit the hay for now - thanks.

what year dart is it ? 71? is it a california emmisions car? if it is then there is your problem. 1971 california emmisions cars had a year only special cap and filler neck. if you lose the original cap then you will be hard pressed to find a replacement. the standart cap will be loose and not fit tight at all. the cure is to replace the filler neck with a standard neck from a newer a body........plymouth or dodge is the same. duster or demon or dart sport is also the same for a swinger or scamp.

I got a Stant that's supposed to fit on my '74 but it sits out too far and loose, wiggles around. The original fits fine though, I see them on Ebay a lot.

-
Back