confused on these brakes

-

mkingan

Reaction score
so doing a brake job on my 65 valiant/barracuda conversion. rear drum brakes from measurement are 9", ordered new shoes and new drums and new wheel cylinders. when i got them and they all matched up except the wheel cylinders. it took me weeks, but tracked down that it had the 9" shoes, 9" drums but 10" wheels cylinders. does that work? now me and my brother built this but that part he did and he has since passed away so no asking what's up. can you run the 10" wheels cylinders with the 9" brakes, drums? i bought the 9" wheel cylinders and way too small and did not line up, the shoes match up, drums match up, but wtf with the wheel cylinders. ,maybe its suppose to have 10" but does the holes for the drum/studs the same as the 9"? confused...

Pictures of the parts in question would go a long way in helping us determine what you are dealing with.
And what part of this brake job is a "conversion"? I'm confused.

ok, the 9" brake cylinders will not work with the 9" shoes, the 10" do

What needs to match: the diam of the wheel cyl pistons to the original.

Some cars, such as station waggons, can have larger pistons because of the heavier weight.

yeah you will only have a fitting issue if the wheel cylinder length differs.
and i have no idea if they do between 9 and 10 inch.

you may find that some have angled port for brake pipe and some don't.
main thing is that they bolt in and they do not force the shoes out to a diameter bigger than the drum... i.e it won't fit with the adjuster at the minimum.

9 inch brakes perfectly adequate on a car with nothing in the rear provided the fronts work well.

huge brakes on the back mess with the brake bias and suddenly the rear end is locked up when the front is not and you find you are facing the traffic you just went past.

i.e if they worked before in an adequate way i'd just replace with the same.

the think is they both bolt in just the shoes won't line up with the 9" but do with the 10", wll i guess it will work then

well i wonder if there is also something else amiss.
if your 9 inch brakes only work with a cylinder designed for 10 inch
i wonder if you have something else in there that mismatches

the kind of problem you might get if say, you tried to fit 1990s dakota 9 inch brake cylinder in a 9 inch back plate from 1962....
Where a 10 inch cylinder for a 62 might fit beacuse of its vintage (this is a made up example to illustrate a point rather than anything i know to be true)

to be honest i don't know but without seeing the difference between the two all i can do is guess

when you say the shoes don't align. is that becasue the cylinder bolts in with its ends too high or low or becasue the shoes just don't reach far enough to engage in the ends of the cylinder? that might be a spring or strut problem.

a picture might help with an indication of which way is front of car

Dave

the 9" ones sat back too far to hot the cylinders, i have the one side torn apart but other side is still intack. ill take some pics. i returned the 9" ones cause they didnt work but have the new 10" ones nd old ones. ill get some pics

Here is wheel cylinder from car and rear brakes. I ordered the 9" ones but they too small didn't set in shoe groove

16760423845406380906281339857138.jpg

16760424227695357686909228613263.jpg

Here is wheel cylinder from car and rear brakes. I ordered the 9" ones but they too small didn't set in shoe groove

View attachment 1716047578

View attachment 1716047579
From my experience the 6 cylinder cars came with 9" brakes, the 8 cylinder with 10". If your rear end has been "fix" by previous owner anything is possible. Your wheel cylinder replacement should look just like the one you removed.

well still kinda hard from that. with hindsight one of those situation where i'd need to get my nose up close and have a good look..

if what you have fits well, use it
the main thing is safety, and if the brakes worked in the past they will again and better with the new parts....

and unless you looked that part up in the parts book for the model? who is to say that the person or oragnistaion who says its for 10 inch is correct....?

Your car might be a cross over model a "built during a strike at the suppliers of brake parts" model, where the fatcory made do with what they had to hand, or you just have a happy coincidence of parts that fit and work...

Dave

9" brakes in 1965 don't use push rods with the wheel cylinders like the 10" brakes do. The shoe pushes right against the flat surfaced wheel cylinder piston. The 10" wheel cylinders have a cupped piston where the push rod rests. If you're using a much later brake setup on your '65 (which it appears you have), you need to use all the later brake related parts, from shoes to hardware to self adjusters. Order parts for a '71 model if you want to use that later (and better) system. The drums will work, but, everything else is different to where you can't mix and match.

is the 10" drum bolt pattern same as the 9", meaning will both slide onto same stud pattern

crap so someone mixed and matched, so now i got to return the 9" setup and figure out what year setup this is

-
Back