connecting rod question

-

kenny b

kenny b
Reaction score
1971 Dodge Demon

What horsepower are the stock LY big block connecting rods good for. I'm building a 440 with wiseco 030 over 2 relief flat top pistons using the stock steel crank and aluminum main caps. Are the connecting rods OK to have rebuilt and bushings installed or should I spend the money on new aftermarket rods. The motor will have 906 heads and a mild street cam. I live 80 miles to the closest strip so maybe only one trip a year to the track.

kenny b

In my own opinion the stock rods are fine for what you are doing...I drove a guys car last wekend that has about the same build you are talking, but with trw pistons, steel crank and stock rods...906 heads.. this motor has been raced the last 4 yrs...I run 3 - 6.94's in the 1/8th with it...It crosses the 1/4 at 6600 rpm and this car is trouble free...Now keep in mind, this bottom end does have good machine work...Hope this info will help...Lee

Get them shotpeened,magna fluxed, resized and rebushed and you should be fine

nothing to worry about

Check how much it will cost to get them rebuilt, ie. resized, shotpeened, polished and the price of new bolts. Then see how much you can get a new set of aftermarket rods for. You might be amazed.

What Don said. Those Wiseco pistons are floating pin, right? So add the cost of bushing teh rods' small ends to fit. Buy a set of 440Source's Platinum rods. Better strength for the same money. Also, why alumnimum caps for such a mild application? Aluminum is meant to absorb massive shock loads to cushion the main webbing. It does have a finite service life too. You would be better served using stock steel caps.

-
Back