Connecting Rods???

-

Brambles

Reaction score
Do you think the added weight of a set of H beam rods is anything to be worried about for a street motor.

I'm building a 340 and I want it to be Bullet Proof, I bought a set of Ross Forged Pistons from a FABO member, the pistons were the NHRA stock eliminator legal pistons which are a pretty heavy pistons but I believe for stock eliminator the pistons have to weight a minimum amount.

I'm considering either a scat H beam or the Scat Pro-comp I beam rods, I won't likely be making over 500 hp and its normally aspirated but I always believe in a certain amount of overkill ( plus I might change my mind and up the power at a later date). The Hbeam are rated at 750 hp and the I beam are rated at 650 hp. The weight of the Hbeams isn't advertised but I"m sure they are a fair bit more in weight.

The crank is a factory forged 340 crank.

The car is a 1970 swinger and I'm looking for 12.5 sec with street tires and quicker with slicks, not sure if its realistic but thats my goals.

Whats your opinions on this.

I used the much criticized eagle SIR rods in my 360 buildup and with all the negative stuff heard about those rods I was worried about failure. They are lighter than the stock rod and are recommended for up to 500 h.p. So far,so good with many runs on them and 6000+ rpm every run. They are an I beam capscrew rod. But the next engine I build will have the h-beams for a little more high rpm(7000) peace of mind.

I put a set of new H beams in my 416 stroker and I certainly am not worried about them being too heavy. I used a set in my 396 chevelle engine and they have been GREAT in there. I think you are going the right way personally. I prefer a little overkill myself especially when it comes to engine builds. You are doing the
RIGHT thing by using the H beam rods in my book!

scat 4340 i beams weight 595 grams. I would use them with no problems.

currently have one bracket 360 motor in dart with h beams that weight in a 640 grams....

new 360 motor with w2 heads will use scat i beams....

stock 340 rods weight in around 750 grams.

So the H beams are still lighter than factory offerings. Sounds good, definitly don't mind losing some weight while gaining strength.

I'll end up studding and align boring the maincaps too. Should make a solid bottom end.

-
Back