Considering Push Button Conversion...help

-

Grumpy Pete

Reaction score
I have an automatic 65 barracuda with an A-727 and a swapped 318. Currently, it has a floor shifter. As park lock cable has failed and I am not aiming for an original restoration. How difficult would converting to a push button be?

You'd need to find the pushbutton mechanism and cables from a '63 or '64 Dart, Valiant or Barracuda. The problem is going to be how to get it mounted in the dash, since there's no holes or tabs to retain the pushbutton mechanism. I suppose you could swap in a complete dash and instrument cluster from a '64 Barracuda. If you're planning on hacking the dash you already have, I guess you could use the pushbuttons from a B or C-body, since at that point you're going to have to design your own trim plate anyway. None are good options...

Besides just finding the right cable to replace the broken one (post a want-ad here!), a column-shift steering column from a '65 Dart or Valiant would do the job, too.

Does it matter which trans the cables and mechanism were originally attached to? (sorry if this is dumb, I have never actually seen the inside push button mechanism before) My dash was hacked to hell when I got it for a Walmart stereo :(, so I am going the custom route anyways.

Does it matter which trans the cables and mechanism were originally attached to? (sorry if this is dumb, I have never actually seen the inside push button mechanism before) My dash was hacked to hell when I got it for a Walmart stereo :(, so I am going the custom route anyways.

Plus there's the part where you would have to have a trans case with the cable shift provisions. (different trans than you have)

Yeah, you would need a 65 or older transmission to make it work. Sounds like you've got some unoriginal stuff in there if you've got a 727. You'd need a 63-64 Valiant, Barracuda, or Dart dash, the shifter pod, the right parking cable and shifting cable, and a 65 or older trans. While there was no pushbutton in 65, they still used the cable shifter like they had in the pushbutton cars, so it would work if you had on older style 904 or 727.

Does it matter which trans the cables and mechanism were originally attached to?

So... does the car have the original shifter in it now? If yes, then your transmission must already be a pushbutton unit. Even though '65s had column and floor shifters, the transmissions were still pushbutton style units. If you're using an after market shifter, then the trans must be the later style. Your car would have originally had a 904. So if there's a 727 in there now then some parts have already been swapped out and it's hard to say what exactly will work in your car. You mentioned that the park cable is broken, which makes me think you're already using a pushbutton trans.

In general, The pushbutton mechanisms will work with an aluminum-cased transmission from '65 and earlier. 904s would have come in A-bodies and 727s in B- and C-bodies. Here's a picture of where the shifter cable goes into the bottom, front, driver-side corner of the case.
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/images/transzn7.jpg
There's a second cable that controls the parking pawl when you put the shifter into park that goes in from the driver's side on the bottom where the tailshaft housing meets the main body.
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/images/transzn2a.jpg

Some earlier transmissions have what looks like a drum brake on the end of the tailshaft and basically won't work. Some have iron cases and definitely won't work. '66 and up are shifted using a single rod near where the shifter cable goes in on the pushbutton units.

Thank you Brummet. I do have the original shifer, and I guess I do have the 904 (but somehow with some aftermarket pan? I cant explain it honestly.) I have that exact aluminum trans and just removed the old parking cable with instructions from that same page you just linked. I am replacing the melted park cable now as the previous owner had it resting on the exhaust system.

I picked up a pushbutton system for 45$shipped, I think that is low enough cost to test it out on my already hacked up dash. Ill let you know how it goes! ha

I installed a PB shifter in a homemade console, between the bucket seats, in my 66 Cuda.
It had a 65 A904 trans with a 64 valve body. Got a lot of looks and questions.

-
Back