console door hinge questions

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 1970 Dart GT with a factory console. I shelled out way too much money for a set of new consle top plates including the console door. Now 2 years later I'm installing it and find that unlike the original doors, this thing has no provision for the push button lock/latch. On 1970 consoles the door is sprung open and the latch holds it closed, but with no latch the door would be flopping around all the time. My understanding is that the earlier console doors had no latch and were sprung shut, which would work fine for me. Can anybody confirm my understanding of this? Can somebody post a picture of the sprung closed hinge? Does anybody know which year they stopped the sprung closed hinge so I can go on a hunt? If anybody else has faced this, is there a way to modify the sprung open hinge so it springs shut?

66-69 had the spring close console lids, 70-76 had the spring open lids with a push button. They found that people were smashing their hands on the spring close lids, so redesigned it (a couple years too late) to make it safer.

-
Back