Console tach

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Hey gang....I just picked up a '66 factory console tach #2831879 at a swap meet today. Can anyone tell me if it needs a sending unit, or can it be hooked up direct.

Thanks!

1966ConsoleTach (Small).jpg

Sorry not sure how to help ya with hooking it up but had to post to say congrats, thats a pretty cool find!!! You must have been stoked to come home with that:cheers:

Hey I looked at a couple of wiring diagrams I've got but unfortunatly the '66 ones I've got don't even show a tach, but this one from a '69 book I've got shows wiring for a Belvedere,Satellite,GTX tach. Wire colors are different though but I'll bet the orange is the backlight on the gauge as it seems to be the color of choice for dash lights throughout the years,ground for light is just done with the unit housing grounding to chasiss.DrkBlue is fused 12v and grey goes to the neg of the ign coil. Sorry not to good with the old scanner and paint works on the computer! Hope this may help:read2:

scan0001.jpg

Thanks for the scans, Macadoo. I have '65 and '67 wiring diagrams...no '66. 1965 tach's had a sender, but the '67 tach's apparently did away with the tach sender unit. I decoded the part # on the back of the tach and it is definitely a '66 tach used in A,B,and C bodies.

I have no gray wire. They are black,orange and yellow.

Thanks again.

I know 1966 Barracuda's and Chargers with in dash tachs have a sending unit, I think the console ones did too.

Well ya learn something new everyday, didn't know some tachs used a sending unit. Just curious is the sending unit wired into the ignition or is it a type of rpm sensor??

Don't listen to those guys...........I can solve this..............

Please mail your tach to: Doc Marino, Mopar Way, Z-Hills, Florida

Let me relieve your stressful problem. 8)

(I cannot BELIEVE the condition of that tach.......SweeeeeeeeeeeT ! )

In your wiring diagram it shows a sending unit to the right of the tach. Of course I agree with Pastortom except you need to send it to me. Jeff

-
Back