Console Top Plate Studs

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a secret on how to attach the mounting studs on your console top plate that have broken off?
Tried JB weld twice and it didn't work. Thanks

How many mounting studs are missing? You can get away with a couple/few of them missing without a problem. Those things are so dang tiny.....

How many mounting studs are missing? You can get away with a couple/few of them missing without a problem. Those things are so dang tiny.....

can you grind the stumps off smooth, and drill the correct size hole, and thap it then loctite a stud of the appropiate size in the hole ? for just a few, I wouldn`t worry about it.

Unfortunately it is one of the end ones that hold the ash tray lid together as a unit. Might to drill it.

3M 8115 ....aka "panel bond"

People like to say its the same as JB weld but there is a reason JB weld is a few bucks and panel bond is a lot more. But its well worth it because they bond quarter panels to cars with the stuff and its automotive grade and can withstand any temp and its some all around wonder stuff. Its used in new cars........not anything like the JB weld at walmart that is made to put ralphie's dad's leg lamp back together. :???:

I even build models with 8115 and you would have to cut them apart.

8115 can be used to rebuild plastic grilles. when used to bond two pieces of metal together it has a higher tensile strength than if the two pieces of metal were welded.

its the stuff or professionals. :)

Attachments

• 3m-company-8115-automix-panel-bonding-adhesive-08115-200-ml-cartridge_1157767.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 105
I hold my top plate down with velcro.

Makes it a breeze to change the shift indicator
bulb. My ash tray is never used so I used duct tape to hold
everything together underneath....it worked:D

Attachments

• DSCF2953 (Medium).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 104
I hold my top plate down with velcro.

Makes it a breeze to change the shift indicator
bulb. My ash tray is never used so I used duct tape to hold
everything together underneath....it worked:D

^^^ Best idea yet !!! 8)

^^^ Best idea yet !!! 8)

never thot about the velcro ! did away w/ the ash tray and built a drink single holder in place of it,in case I relapse and want to have a cold one when I`m out feeling froggy one of these days.-lol

3M 8115 ....aka "panel bond"

People like to say its the same as JB weld but there is a reason JB weld is a few bucks and panel bond is a lot more. But its well worth it because they bond quarter panels to cars with the stuff and its automotive grade and can withstand any temp and its some all around wonder stuff. Its used in new cars........not anything like the JB weld at walmart that is made to put ralphie's dad's leg lamp back together. :???:

I even build models with 8115 and you would have to cut them apart.

8115 can be used to rebuild plastic grilles. when used to bond two pieces of metal together it has a higher tensile strength than if the two pieces of metal were welded.

its the stuff or professionals. :)

I use this stuff and holy cows is it amazing! I have to pay about $50 a tube for it though.. Its also a 2 part epoxy. You dont need the special gun to use it in small portions. Just squeeze equal amounts out like regular epoxy and mix. Just becareful if you do this so that you dont cross the two in the opening of the tube. Then when done wipe the opening clean.

We had to use pry bars to remove a 1 x 1 plate we attached to a wall to test it out.

-
Back