Contemplating a race build.

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I have never owned a race only vehicle. But im wanting to build one. I've been searching the marketplace and classifieds for a roller to buy the other day it struck me. I have an extra 2001 dodge ram I bought for parts to fix up the rusty ram. It runs and drives (sorta) its the perfect candidate for a drag truck. It does have some issues to overcome. The biggest being weight. Its a extended cab 4x4 truck. The curb weight is approximately 5300lbs so I will have alot of lightening to do. I have some ideas I can delete the 4x4 replace the transmission with a 2wd one. I have thought about doing like a gasser style straight front axle to remove the weight of the front diff. Of course gut the interior and remove any unnecessary wiring and accessories. Im thinking fiberglass fenders, hood and bumpers. Id have to add a cage of course that will add weight. The good news is its got a stout 5.9 magnum with relatively low miles. For now im thinking refreshing the heads and go with a basic intake carb and headers. Then later on id like to do add a turbo. My goal is a consistent 8 sec (1/8 mile) as this will be a bracket car. Im thinking if I can get the weight down to 4400 (with me in it im 260) and squeeze 400hp out of the 5.9 this should be doable. What do you guys think? Advice is welcome.

20190724_174928.jpg

Check your local track rules but I am guessing at your desired goal for times I don’t think you will need a roll bar. A lot of guys race whatever they have and you can see all manner of trucks at the track. Always be thinking when building your “race” rig, what are the requirements for the next class. And purchase your safety harness absolutely last, as they expire. Translated you buy them now perhaps by the time you get truck ready for track they are expired. Have a complete a thorough knowledge of the rules for the class you want to race in before you start your build. Cruise the racers forum on here as there is a wealth of racing knowledge on here. And have a blast!

Check your local track rules but I am guessing at your desired goal for times I don’t think you will need a roll bar. A lot of guys race whatever they have and you can see all manner of trucks at the track. Always be thinking when building your “race” rig, what are the requirements for the next class. And purchase your safety harness absolutely last, as they expire. Translated you buy them now perhaps by the time you get truck ready for track they are expired. Have a complete a thorough knowledge of the rules for the class you want to race in before you start your build. Cruise the racers forum on here as there is a wealth of racing knowledge on here. And have a blast!
Thanks. That's great info on the harness. Yes you are right I won't need a cage for that but I'd rather be safe than sorry and like you said I want to build it to go faster. Lol right now im looking into the footbrake class. The dot class has to be somewhat "street legal" the foot brake appears to be more open with the exception of electric launch and delay boxes but that's ok with me because I can't afford that stuff anyhow lol. I would like to be able to compete in the 7.99 head ups class also. I've been researching the rules at our local track and they are very vague when it comes to tech stuff. Im not sure at what point stuff has to be sfi certified and all that. Im not sure what the rules on like the glass is for example. Can I remove it and use a lighter Plexiglas? I can't find that kind of info on our local tracks website. I guess I'll have to go down and talk to the inspector and find all that out.

Having raced for 40-years this is my advice. Get the lightest possible vehicle you can find. The lighter it is the less horsepower that will be needed. Nothing in racing is cheap like it used to be and horsepower of any kind cost a lot of money today. Light car, low power, less issues with maintenance. Or as the old man I used to know always told me to follow the KISS rule.

Tom

Having raced for 40-years this is my advice. Get the lightest possible vehicle you can find. The lighter it is the less horsepower that will be needed. Nothing in racing is cheap like it used to be and horsepower of any kind cost a lot of money today. Light car, low power, less issues with maintenance. Or as the old man I used to know always told me to follow the KISS rule.

Tom

agreed.
If you are serious about racing, cutting a light with a 4400 pound vehicle is much harder than a lighter car.
Parts will love you too in a lighter racer

I have a 99 rt club cab, and quite a few big blocks i can build to put in it but it is 4500 pounds, id like to find 1000 + pounds to pull out of it

I've built a couple cars from nothing and, I'm here to tell yah .. it costs a lot to start from scratch amd you have to buy or find every single piece, the amount of money U have in this is silly, parts today cost a lot
valiantoutsidesideshot.jpg

I think your best bet is to find a roller or complete car that used to be raced and already has been tubbed, caged, gutted, etc. and bring it back to life. Will be a lot cheaper in the long run. I found the 1970 Duster roller in the picture to the left at an estate sale of a former racer and paid $3500 for it. It had everything but a motor, which is fine with me. I would rather put something I built and trust in it. Best of luck to you!

-
Back