Contemplating my next move...

-

naji408

Reaction score
So I have everything set up for my project:

Engine-Check (408 stroker hoping for 500hp)
Tranny-Check (4 speed conversion)

My next move is the rear end. Out of experience, what would my FABO fam reccomend? A new Moser? Re-doing an 8 3/4? All would need to be purchased, and it will mainly be a street driver. Gas milage isn't a huge issue, but I still want to consider it. BTW, its a 71 Duster. Thanks guys.

I personally would rebuild a 8-3/4 since I have the ability to do so, and a Dana (I assume that's what your referring to when you say Moser) is not necessary at that power level and I cannot afford one. But if you can't do the work yourself it may be a toss up. Just have to check the costs.

Ya...I went ahead and chose convenience and bought an 8 3/4 with 3.55 gear ratio. It's a clutch unit that had been rebuilt by a local mopar man with a lot of knowledge on the unit. I'm pretty stoked.

8 3/4 with 3.55s will handle a huge amount of torque. Moser axles are a plus. You can get them from Randy's Ring and Pinion. 3.91s would be even better.

My 340 with a 4 speed never made a full pass with the 8.75. It's just too brutal. Personally I would go with a Dana for any 4 speed application.

With street tires on the street you'll be ok, but with drag radials or slicks at a drag strip you won't make it one pass unless you come out at idle assuming you have a good clutch.

I made 8 passes at the track and burned up a CF DF clutch, switched to a dual disc that doesn't slip and have since broke the gears in two 8-3/4 center sections each on the first launch. bummer, didn't even get in a run on my new setup but so it goes.

My winter project will be to build a Dana if I find a housing or I'll order a Strange 60 before spring.

With street tires on the street you'll be ok, but with drag radials or slicks at a drag strip you won't make it one pass unless you come out at idle assuming you have a good clutch.

I made 8 passes at the track and burned up a CF DF clutch, switched to a dual disc that doesn't slip and have since broke the gears in two 8-3/4 center sections each on the first launch. bummer, didn't even get in a run on my new setup but so it goes.

My winter project will be to build a Dana if I find a housing or I'll order a Strange 60 before spring.

Yeah that is what happens, when stuff slips your et goes up but parts live. Get slicks so the tires stick better and then the axles or gears snap.

The Dana is super duty but takes more hp from the engine.

Is your driveshaft and U joints HD, if not replace those also or they might be the next part to break. .

Well I haven't gotten to the drive shaft yet. This was a /6 conversion. I know the yolk on the pig is the heavy duty one, and it's the 489 casing.

What would be my best bet for driveshaft? I have a local driveline shop nearby, I'll probably take measurements and have them make it from scratch.

Mancini Racing sells chromemoly driveshafts with the 1350 u-joints(I just bought one for my 904 to Dana app)I also bought just a Dana 60 housing fom Moser and pieced it together.It was cheaper to build it myself.

Attachments

• 66 Dart project Nov2010 355.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 66 Dart project Nov2010 362.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 93
-
Back