Continuing work on my 69 383 Formula S fastback - interior/dash

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
so far, i've installed the borgeson power steering box and the mopar mini-starter and a nice OEM replacement positive battery cable.

i've restored and repainted the replacement OEM power steering column and it is ready to install. it's now a nice factory looking flat black.

now, i'm tearing up the interior starting with the dash. one of our fellow FABO fans had a BEAUTIFUL and "NOS" factory tach that i snatched from him off of the classified ads here the moment he advertised it. it was a bit expensive, however, the FABO guy was a straight-shooter and nice to deal and he sold it to me for what he had paid for it. it's a sad thought, but you really do have to spend money on these cars to get them to look the way they did when new or to be "authentic." i've posted a picture of the NOS factory tach and one that is currently available from "Herb's Parts" and there just isn't any comparison. if you want your old mopar to look "right", i suggest saving up and getting the best OEM parts you can find even if it takes you longer to finish the car and you can only buy one or a few parts at a time. i think you will see how dramatic the difference is from the below pics between an aftermarket reproduction A-body Tachometer and the "real deal" OEM 1969 Plymouth Tach.

i have also posted pics of a new reproduction dash speaker i purchased from Classic Industries. i thought the price was fair ($60.00 i believe) and it is a direct replacement for the factory 4"x10" original dash speaker. however, the new speakers CANNOT be used with the old radios! apparently there is an amperage difference between the old 60's parts and the electronics produced today. i am going to buy one of those "modern conversion" AM/FM radios that several vendors now have. unfortunately, those radios are pretty expensive, so i will probably not get that until next month.

i'm also doing a new dash bezel - probably from Classic Industries. i am going to compare prices from one of the other vendors that are selling these. these dash assemblies are also VERY expensive! but given that my car is an original, numbers matching 69 Formula S fastback 383 4 speed, the car is worth investing money in for good parts. it's just painful to see the big prices for nice parts deducted from my bank account.

my original dash assembly had two electric board pegs broken so i had to replace the main circuit board. you'll see that there are two different colored boards. apparently Plymouth must have changed vendors sometime during the 67-69 run for the Barracudas ending up with dash circuit boards of different colors. fortunately, i was able to get all the parts i needed from my own "parts bin."

here are some pics of everything...

DSCN2423.jpg

DSCN2433.jpg

DSCN2429.jpg

DSCN2425.jpg

DSCN2426.jpg

DSCN2431.jpg

DSCN2437.jpg

DSCN2441.jpg

View attachment 1715638292

View attachment 1715638293

NOS mopar tach.jpg

repro tach.jpg

Last edited:
i love deluxe 69 interior. my old barracuda had the deluxe saddle. your black looks real good.

i put that retrosound speaker in my dash. it works but not the greatest i have ever heard.

i love deluxe 69 interior. my old barracuda had the deluxe saddle. your black looks real good.

i put that retrosound speaker in my dash. it works but not the greatest i have ever heard.

i like the deluxe interior option also. my interior is in decent shape, but i probably will replace the front seat covers. this car is all original and on the bucket seats for the deluxe interior, there are 4 chrome decorative metal inserts on the bucket seats that run down the seat where you sit. you never see these on seats that guys have replaced the seat covers. i also replaced the top dash pad with a nice one i had in stock. the old one had several cracks in it. as to the speaker, the information on the page for the new retrosound speaker says that they will not work with old radios. maybe that is the problem you have. did you connect it to the original OEM plymouth radio? that's why i'm going to save up and buy one of those converted AM/FM new radios as they are supposed to work with the retrosound speakers.

Love the exterior color! The gauges are often missed on 69 models. Black centers with the white surround are spot on!

What has happened with the other car! The 440, That I hated what you chose to to do with it?

What has happened with the other car! The 440, That I hated what you chose to to do with it?

this car? it is sitting right in front of the gold 383 that i'm working on first. i continue to gather up parts for the M car and have pretty much everything now. i do still need a good 833 A-body trans for the 440 car.

100089413_678344496339808_1076822148774887424_o.jpg

a current pic4.jpg

delivery at home2.jpg

pic 9.jpg

21 march 17 pass quarter panel.jpg

amd26.jpg

april 10 rear clip drivers side.jpg

AMD 5.jpg

the information on the page for the new retrosound speaker says that they will not work with old radios. maybe that is the problem you have. did you connect it to the original OEM plymouth radio?

i am running a kenwood head unit in my dart

I upgraded the electrical system on my ‘67 barracuda this year and made a number of changes. I went to a 120 amp alternator. A bypass of the bulkhead wiring ending a terminals +,- to distribute power to the interior electrical. A solid state IVR. Converted the amp gauge to volt gauge. Firewall forward relays for headlights, fan. Heavier gauge wire for alt, headlights. And large fuse block to protect the whole system from over load.

As you were talking about nothing is cheap. It pays in the long run to make sure the whole electrical system is in good shape. Simple things as cleaning the connections pays off.

-
Back