contour paint stripper

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
'My search shows few opinions. I have always had a big compressor and DA 'ed all my cars to bare metal. But... today I do not. What is the opinion of those that use this contour stripper?

Find some old stuff. New stripper is about useless unless you go with aircraft stripper.
The contour stripper is a "sander" that uses a drum made of the honeycomb type material. I have seen it discussed a little on here, most people have bought one and never ysed the darn thing.

Eastwood and Harbor Freight have one and they are awesome for not destroying the Body Lines

Eastwood and Harbor Freight have one and they are awesome for not destroying the Body Lines
We are headed to the city today and Thur. for doc appointments. HF stripper is on sale at about $125 IF you pay the bandits $35 for their "membership"! I have wondered awhile how well they work and if they eat those drums like a kid and M & Ms????

Amazing how well I have done with the $35 orbital palm sanded and 40 and 80 grit. It would be nice to have a big dual cylinder compressor again but at 75 ....why????:thumbsup::BangHead:

The contour stripper is a "sander" that uses a drum made of the honeycomb type material. I have seen it discussed a little on here, most people have bought one and never ysed the darn thing.

Ahhh, thank you. I've always called them vented flap wheels and they work very well, though I don't remove paint with them.
Auto Body Toolmart and TP Tools are good sources.

This might be a good stripper.
STRIPPER2.jpg

I HAVE used the Eastwood SCT tool. It works pretty well, but I do think I like a good DA and with 80 grit just as well.

Ahhh, thank you. I've always called them vented flap wheels and they work very well, though I don't remove paint with them.
Auto Body Toolmart and TP Tools are good sources.
I would post a pic but I am not that good at the net. Not a flap disc. Google "drum sander" maybe. Thats what I call them.

Those wheels are basically the 3m clean n strip wheel that is wider. I've been using those on a die grinder for 25 years or so. They don't add much heat to a panel either.

3m 07466

I've got the HF one. Works well, but also has its own limitations. I like a combination of the drum sander, DA, and media blasting. Then again, I have a good compressor.

T
I've got the HF one. Works well, but also has its own limitations. I like a combination of the drum sander, DA, and media blasting. Then again, I have a good compressor.
Thanks for the info. Those roll drums are not cheap so I wonder how long they last. Everything is relative though!!

I have the contour. Its a solid, heavy tool and I expect I could get through many projects with it. I don't believe that it works any better than other abrasive methods in removing paint, but it does well in not heating the sheet metal up. Its a little cumbersome in tight spots and you will still need to use other methods in those areas. The wheels from eastwood are expensive.

Were I do to it all over again, I'd take a flyer on the harbor freight tool. Its less than half the cost of what I paid for the contour, but I think the contour has dropped in price now due to the intro of cheaper alternatives.

I have the contour. Its a solid, heavy tool and I expect I could get through many projects with it. I don't believe that it works any better than other abrasive methods in removing paint, but it does well in not heating the sheet metal up. Its a little cumbersome in tight spots and you will still need to use other methods in those areas. The wheels from eastwood are expensive.

Were I do to it all over again, I'd take a flyer on the harbor freight tool. Its less than half the cost of what I paid for the contour, but I think the contour has dropped in price now due to the intro of cheaper alternatives.
I'm willing to bet (a small amount) that the Eastwood and HF tools come out of the same plant on the same assembly line. Drums are around $15 at HF. Drum life depends on what you are stripping.

I'm willing to bet (a small amount) that the Eastwood and HF tools come out of the same plant on the same assembly line. Drums are around $15 at HF. Drum life depends on what you are stripping.
That’s a good idea if the HF drums fit the Eastwood.

I almost (almost) went ahead and bought a drum stripper but took awhile to get feedback, meantime I striped it down except roof and trunklid and hood with what I had. I will continue on working with what I have maybe. Who knows, maybe the Eagle will poop in my hand and I will get an extra $150 from somewhere!!??? Mom always said, son... work with what you have till you can do better. But I have bought up all my needed materials except topcoat! The good part of always having a project to build is there are always some leftover materials! Everything just keeps getting more expensive but I did talk the new girl at the paint store into an old fellers discount!!

If anyone knows IF the HF drums fit the Eastwood machine or anyone actually has used the HF stripper for more than a couple hours...let us know!

Those wheels are basically the 3m clean n strip wheel that is wider. I've been using those on a die grinder for 25 years or so. They don't add much heat to a panel either.

3m 07466
I've been stripping my car this week. So far the best combination is chemical stripper and a scraper to get most of the thick paint off and then a 5 inch Clean and Strip XT disc on an angle grinder to get the rest. I then go over it with 180 on a DA for epoxy primer. The 3M Clean and Strip XT discs aren't cheap and wear out pretty quick but then there is no cheap way to strip your car.

I havn't used paint stripper in a decade or so, but everyone says he current stripper is pretty sorry.
Yeah not as good as the old stuff that had methylene chloride in it. What I hated with the abrasive strippers is all the dust so I gave it a try (its not cheap either....$100/gallon up here). I'm told it works much better on aftermarket paint vs factory paint which is why it doesn't seem to be working that well on my roof. Just brush it on (one pass with the brush) and then quickly lay plastic on top. You will need multiple applications.

-
Back