Control arm bushing question

-

66 Valiant Paul

Reaction score
Hi I am getting ready to tighten up my frontend before I get it lined up this spring. So I bought new ball joints upper and lower, Tie rod ends are good. I need upper control arm bushings as well as lower. I bought a kit of uppers already and here is a pic. But what I am not sure is if these are for both sides or do I need to buy another set for the other side (not sure if you use 2 or 4 per side) and I didn't tear anything apart yet.
Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• c arm bushings.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 228
Those should be for both sides of the upper arms. The lowers will require ! bushing per side, and the are different.

Hey Paul, I'm doing the same thing as you, rebuilding the front end. You need two per side on upper control arm where the cam bolts go through. I started out going to replace the strut rod & lower control arm bushings & now I'm replacing everything plus going to Wilwood disc conversion kit (have 9" drums). Best of luck, that's why we have winters so we can work on our cars. Mark :)

Thanks for the info. I was going to go to disc in the front as well but for this year I think I will be happy with a new double bowl master cylinder and the front end parts and alignment. I want to do some interior work as well this year and money just doesn't go as far as it use to, so I have to budget this out, or I will have the wife to deal with.:violent1:
Paul

If you can return those UCA bushings, you would do better to get the Moog "problem fixer" offset bushings. That will allow you to set more caster. Otherwise, these cars tend to want to wander with radial tires. I was cheap and used just 1 offset bushing on the aft sides. Anyway, read the many posts here.

I re-used my UCA balljoints since still tight, just added polyurethane boots. I did remove mine to clean and paint the UCA's. That requires a special socket (~$30) to unscrew - don't press them out!!!

Get your car at the correct ride height, with weight on the tires, and jounce it up and down, then tighten the bushings. If you tighten them with the wheels hanging, they can shear when the car settles.

-
Back